How to shorten hose on Moen 7165 side sink sprayer

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Goodman

JEG in Raleigh
Reaction score
I have a Moen 7165 faucet with a side sprayer in my kitchen. The side sprayer hose is reinforced vinyl tubing and it is too long. It continually gets caught on the plumbing under the sink, and I have managed to put a small tear in the outer wall of the tubing from yanking on it over the past couple of years. I'd really like a braded SS hose because they seem to slide much easier, but I cannot find one for this faucet and side sprayer.

The tear in the hose is about 20" down from the sprayer head, and if I were to cut the hose at that point, it would be pretty much the perfect length.....still long enough to reach everywhere in the sink, but short enough so it would not get hung up on projecting plumbing valves etc. under the sink. I want to shorten the hose. All replacement hoses are too long, and I'll just have the same problem again. I'm ready to buy a hose ferrule crimper to be able to modify the tubing length. I'd cut off the crimped fitting that connects the tubing to the fitting that inserts into the spray nozzle, remove the fitting from the tubing, cut the tubing shorter, and re-install the spray nozzle fitting.

I'm not sure if anyone will have answers to these questions, but here goes. This is the type of crimper I intend to use:

https://www.amazon.com/Amflo-855-Ho...s=airline+crimping+tool&qid=1607389144&sr=8-5

The diameters of the dies for this type of crimper are precise in their sizes....31/64 inch die- 17/32 inch die- 37/64 inch...... but the outside diameter of vinyl tubes that are "3/8 inch tubing" vary in their outside diameters by pretty significant amounts....like up to 0.125" while the tolerances for the tubing that is supposed to fit in the die is specified as a few hundredths. And the ferrules to be crimped that fit over the tubing, also have pretty tight tolerances for the tubing sizes that they fit. And it seems that these types of crimpers are mostly used for air hoses, and I have no idea if the outside diameters of air hoses are close to those of the vinyl tubing.

Can anyone give me any insights into what size die I should use and what size ferrule? My viny tubing measures 0.500" with calipers. The OD of the fitting that fits inside the tubing measures 0.383". Thanks.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd buy a new hose but. since its just running pressure you could couple it back with 3/8 .375"barb and a couple hose clamps. I might do it on my own property but wouldn't dare consider it on someone else's.
I would recommend a new hose coil it up re-route what other stuff is in the way.

Jim Goodman

JEG in Raleigh
Reaction score
Id buy a new hose but. since its just running pressure you could couple it back with 3/8 .375"barb and a couple hose clamps. I might do it on my own property but wouldnt dare concider it on someone elses.
I would recomend a new hose coil it up re-route what other stuff is in the way.

Well, I'm an idiot. I hadn't even thought of coiling up the excess hose. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some of them come with a metal coil covering the hose to help reinforce it. I've not looked for that, and it might not fit over the fittings if you could find some that fit, but might help prevent it from getting caught up on something.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks