How to set up very old Price Pfister stems?

Users who are viewing this thread

jeffsmith1234

Reaction score
Hi,

How to set up very old Price Pfister stems?
See picture attached.

I have the new stem and put it in but the water flow is barely a trickle. I tried mucking with it, but no changes. Is it supposed to be adjusted in some way? I've tried moving it up and down and whatnot, but nothing works. Just get a trickle of water, even when I put the exact old stem back in. And, yes, I turned the water back on.

Is there a YouTube video or a manual or something on how to do it? The only ones I see are for new stems that look nothing like the ones I have.

Thanks!

faucet_stems.jpg

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
There should be a hard cap gasket that goes on the bottom of the threaded bonnet. Also have you checked the water volume without the stem uninstalled? Has the valve seat been replaced? The replacement you have is correct and they do not have an adjustment.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
something changed rust blockage possibly bits can get stuck and reduce flow. ok so clarify this, only a little water from hot or cold side or both? since you didn't say I'm assuming both. all other fixtures have full water flow or you would have told us.
remove seats as well blast out and try again. Mucking out? what's going on there?

jeffsmith1234

Reaction score
There should be a hard cap gasket that goes on the bottom of the threaded bonnet. Also have you checked the water volume without the stem installed? Has the valve seat been replaced? The replacement you have is correct and they do not have an adjustment.
Hi, is the hard cap gasket the rubber washer and screw like in this picture? If yes, it has that. The only thing I've done is removed the old stem and put the new one in. I haven't replaced anything else. The only reason for replacing the stem was because of some water seeping out the stem. The water flow is fine no issues with that. One thing I do notice the middle parts of stems can be rotated around the shaft so that when the stem is then screwed back into the seat, the top of the stem sits higher or lower depending on where the middle part is set. I don't know if that has any effect. I looked on YouTube and there are no videos that show this type of stem. Cheers.

faucet_stem_2.jpg

Last edited:

jeffsmith1234

Reaction score
something changed rust blockage possibly bits can get stuck and reduce flow. ok so clarify this, only a little water from hot or cold side or both? since you didn't say I'm assuming both. all other fixtures have full water flow or you would have told us.
remove seats as well blast out and try again. Mucking out? what's going on there?
Hi, yes, when I put the stems back in, I only get low trickle of water from hot and cold, which is weird because it does that also when simply put the old stems back in. Before, there was normal water flow from both. The reason for replacing the stem is because there was some small leaking out the top of it. One thing I do notice the middle parts of stems can be rotated around the shaft so that when the stem is then screwed back into the seat, the top of the stem sits higher or lower depending on where the middle part is set. I don't know if that has any effect. I looked on YouTube and there are no videos that show this type of stem. Cheers. Cheers.

Last edited:

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
I assume this is on a lavatory faucet, if so, is the aerator clean?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
what happened ? not so clear middle parts turning around stem? no idea what that means.
but if you got more questions shoot.

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The cap gasket is # 950-190. (See the parts sheet) The fact that the water flow was adequate before you started servicing the faucet I would first remove the aerator as Mr.Tee stated. Turning the water off and on can cause debris to create your problem.

Attachments

• 49 Series.pdf
    146.7 KB · Views: 119
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks