How to set up new system for well - have 240v, well 6" casing 100' deep only 5 GPM

Users who are viewing this thread

chris8585

Reaction score
have 240v, well 6" casing 100' deep only 5 GPM
please advise if 1/2 or 3/4 HP submersible is better?

if better to reduce casing to 4"

what size pressure tank advisable?
what setting for pressure switch?

Reach4

Reaction score
have 240v, well 6" casing 100' deep only 5 GPM
please advise if 1/2 or 3/4 HP submersible is better?
1/2 HP. Even for 7 gpm, still 1/2. For 10 gpm, probably still 1/2 HP.

I would not go to a 5 gpm submersible pump on a 100 ft deep well. A 7 would be cheaper, and 10 cheaper still. Why? There are more stages on a 5 gpm pump than a 7 or 10.

if better to reduce casing to 4"
If you are having the well dug, 6 inch is much better than 4. A 6 inch gives a lot more storage. A 6 inch takes a trapezoidal pitless adapter, where a 4 inch needs a clearway pitless adapter.

Now sometimes a 4 inch PVC liner would be put into a 6 inch well because of sand etc coming in. Also, with a 6 inch casing, it is good to put a short segment of PVC pipe over the pump. This is called a "flow inducer". You can search for that term.

I am curious why you asked that.

I am not a pro.

Last edited:

chris8585

Reaction score
1/2 HP. Even for 7 gpm, still 1/2. For 10 gpm, probably still 1/2 HP.

I would not go 5 gpm submersible pump on a 100 ft deep well. A 7 would be cheaper, and 10 cheaper still. Why? There are more stages on a 5 gpm pump than a 7 or 10.

If you are having the well dug, 6 inch is much better than 4. A 6 inch gives a lot more storage. A 6 inch takes a trapezoidal pitless adapter, where a 4 inch needs a clearway pitless adapter.

Now sometimes a 4 inch PVC liner would be put into a 6 inch well because of sand etc coming in. Also, with a 6 inch casing, it is good to put a short segment of PVC pipe over the pump. This is called a "flow inducer". You can search for that term.

I am curious why you asked that.

I am not a pro.
thank you for your reply - this well's pump was deeper & getting dirty water & stopped so we plan to try 100 or 90'.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Moving to pump and well forum.

I would use a 3/4HP, 10 GPM pump set as deep as possible in 6" casing using a 4" flow inducer. Here is a pic.
shroud 3 pics.jpg

chris8585

Reaction score
thank you for replying but i am afraid this is beyond me. Mine is a 2 person household with a low producing, 5 GPM well. I can not figure out what my pressure switch should be set at. Nor how big my pressure tank should be. We do not use a lot of water, but the water started getting dirty & then stopped so it is probably full of sand & dirt after a long dry summer so we should go on vacation when that happens & not use water. So now i have to replace pump - should pressure tank and control box & pressure switch all be replaced, too? If so what is recommended?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
a low producing, 5 GPM well
A traditional large tank and high GPM pump are seen as an additional heavy load on a low producing well. The pump runs at max GPM as it fills the tank regardless of how little the draw is. The high GPM quickly draws down the water level in the casing and the surge motivates the sediment.

The casing is your storage tank and using a small tank with a CSV will limit the GPM to what you are drawing plus 1 GPM to slowly fill the small tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
thank you for your reply - this well's pump was deeper & getting dirty water & stopped so we plan to try 100 or 90'.
You don't set a pump 100 ft deep in a 100 ft well.

I wonder what the static level of your water is (how far down the top of the water is when you have not been using water).

Have you ever had an indication that you pumped the well dry?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks