How to Install a Toilet Trip Lever Properly

Users who are viewing this thread

Jfklein

Reaction score
I have an American Standard “New Compton” toilet. I replaced the trip lever with what is supposed to be an aftermarket trip lever made to the same specifications as the original (Part No. 70437-02).

However, the lever sits at a slightly upward angle. See photo attached. Is this how the lever is supposed to look, or is it supposed to sit horizontal?

IMG_9717.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most trip levers, especially after market or third party... aren't that well engineered. So yes. That is how its supposed to look. If you look at how well the square peg fits into the square hole, you will likely see that theres a lot of play. The fancy Kohler one I just looked at probably doesn't sit level either

You could fool around with it so that the "stops" hit each other sooner and its more level. Or try to get the 2 squares to align better. Or get used to it in about 2 weeks.

Jfklein

Reaction score
Most trip levers, especially after market or third party... aren't that well engineered. So yes. That is how its supposed to look. If you look at how well the square peg fits into the square hole, you will likely see that theres a lot of play. The fancy Kohler one I just looked at probably doesn't sit level either

You could fool around with it so that the "stops" hit each other sooner and its more level. Or try to get the 2 squares to align better. Or get used to it in about 2 weeks.
Ok, so if it was engineered correctly it would sit horizontal?

The square peg fits pretty tight in the hole actually.

How would I adjust the stops? I would have to remove the metal handle from the plastic part it's mounted on, not sure it will be possible.

When I got it I thought it looked cheaply made. Do you know of any other manufacturers that make aftermarket toilet parts?

Jfklein

Reaction score
Delta makes some spring loaded after market "universal" trip levers that are quite adjustable to a variety of tanks, and the front mount like yours they work great.

Instructions for the Delta:

Thanks, but I would like to use OEM parts or replicas of the OEM parts. I am bit-by-bit restoring the toilet to it's original look and design.

The trip lever in my photo is from some unknown manufacturer but is supposed to be a replica of the OEM part. I bought it from Noel's Plumbing supply in Cincinnati. But since it doesn't sit level I'm thinking I might buy a replica OEM part from a different manufacturer that has higher quality standards. Do you know of any?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
OH.. well that is a different animal. I don't deal much with that here.. tho I do appreciate it being a vintage car owner..

So if you pull it off and look behind to see how the parts function, you will likely see that there is a nub in the handle that contacts a part of the "body". If you placed a shim between the 2 parts you should be able to get it to rest level. Once you determine the size of the shim then figure out what would hold permanently.. like a 2 part epoxy putty.

Is this what it looks like?

1702422873604.png

Jfklein

Reaction score
OH.. well that is a different animal. I don't deal much with that here.. tho I do appreciate it being a vintage car owner..

So if you pull it off and look behind to see how the parts function, you will likely see that there is a nub in the handle that contacts a part of the "body". If you placed a shim between the 2 parts you should be able to get it to rest level. Once you determine the size of the shim then figure out what would hold permanently.. like a 2 part epoxy putty.

Is this what it looks like?

Yup that looks like it. Here's a photo:

IMG_9718.jpg

The thing is I think the stops, where the chrome handle and the body make contact, are underneath the handle. There is a metal shaft attached to the handle that goes through the center of the assembly. But on the other end the plastic "arm" that connects to the lift chain is pressed onto this shaft, so I don't think it can be disassembled in order to access the stops.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yup that looks like it. Here's a photo:

View attachment 95791

The thing is I think the stops, where the chrome handle and the body make contact, are underneath the handle. There is a metal shaft attached to the handle that goes through the center of the assembly. But on the other end the plastic "arm" that connects to the lift chain is pressed onto this shaft, so I don't think it can be disassembled in order to access the stops.
OK.. I thought I saw a screw that would connect all the way through like the Delta does..

So then I would change the angle of the square peg in the square hole til it is level.

Peterson

Reaction score
That is the correct handle. I bet the original was much thicker as this one seems to be thinner looking. Sometimes they just don't line up horizontally. Sometimes the handles will end up tilting upwards after years of use. I have seen generic, but identical replacements at hardware stores in the past that might work well. I see several on Ebay right now.

Jfklein

Reaction score
OK.. I thought I saw a screw that would connect all the way through like the Delta does..

So then I would change the angle of the square peg in the square hole til it is level.

Ok I see. I guess I could use a file to shave the peg.

The lever is really crap quality. In addition to the angle being off the lever moves a bit stiffly and makes a squeaking sound from rubbing against the plastic body, and there's a ton of play in the shaft that goes through the body.

I might see if I can find a different manufacturer and buy another one. Do you think they are all made in the same factory?

Jfklein

Reaction score
That is the correct handle. I bet the original was much thicker as this one seems to be thinner looking. Sometimes they just don't line up horizontally. Sometimes the handles will end up tilting upwards after years of use. I have seen generic, but identical replacements at hardware stores in the past that might work well. I see several on Ebay right now.

I don't have the original unfortunately. The handle that was on it was a generic plastic one that eventually broke.

Which part was thicker?

I have a document from The Chicago Faucet Shoppe that states the original handle for the New Compton toilet had a brass arm (Part No. 73392-02).

I actually received a brass armed version from Noel's plumbing also, but it doesn't appear to be the correct model. However, the chrome lever is the same style as the one I installed but a bit deeper. That one is made in Taiwan and is good quality. Apparently it is made by Kissler so I might contact them to ask if they have the 73392-02.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok I see. I guess I could use a file to shave the peg.

The lever is really crap quality. In addition to the angle being off the lever moves a bit stiffly and makes a squeaking sound from rubbing against the plastic body, and there's a ton of play in the shaft that goes through the body.

I might see if I can find a different manufacturer and buy another one. Do you think they are all made in the same fact
Unfortunately I don't have enough experience with those to say exactly. I'm pretty good at McGyvering my way through something like this to make something work that really shouldn't.

Peterson

Reaction score
If the one made in Taiwan is better quality and fits the tank and is the same style, I'd install it and call it a day.

Jfklein

Reaction score
If the one made in Taiwan is better quality and fits the tank and is the same style, I'd install it and call it a day.

That might be what I'll end up doing. The thing is I want to restore the toilet as close as possible to it's original design. So I plan to spend a bit more time hunting around on the internet for a better quality replica handle.

Peterson

Reaction score
I'd install the Taiwan handle for now. Your American Standard tank was a very common tank that was on most of their toilets from the 1960's-1980's, and I'm sure you will be able to find an original handle either at a salvage yard or Re-Store, etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks