How to add neutral wire for MLV dimmer when none present? Impossible?

Users who are viewing this thread

tbeaulieu

Reaction score
Hello,

I've added quite a few Lutron Casettas to my home and have them all tied in with my Wink controller. Easy peasy.

I've installed a 150W MLV driver in the cellar and am running a series of home run lines to the kitchen for cabinet lighting. Lutron's standard Casetta is not compatible with MLV, but their PRO version is, so I got it. What I didn't realize is that the neutral is required for MLV. My LED strips are flickering and I just noticed the fine print on the PRO, casually mentioning the neutral being required.

Well, I've got two 14-2 cables running into this switch box. With the standard Casetta I run hot/black into the switch and then the neutral/white to the lights and back to the neutral bar. I have the whites marked black coming out of the switches. This seems to suggest to me that I should have run a 3-conductor, but I didn't and honestly I don't think I could at this point, since the wall has been buttoned up and brick veneer installed. Ugh. I might be able to "dig out" the box and go with old construction for the replacement, but it's not something I want to do, at this point.

Am I dead in the water? Do I need to install a new switch box somewhere else so that I can run 3-conductor?

Thank you for any insight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks