How often should

Users who are viewing this thread

v10rick

Reaction score
a well pump run when there is no water useage? We just moved into a home with well and septic...do not know much about either so this is a perfect forum for us.:)

The pump clicks on in the wee hours of the morning and runs for about a min or two. I hear it just a couple of times but it may be more often during the snores.:D

There are two full baths and two sinks...do not see any signs of drips.

Rick

Speedbump

Reaction score
Turn off the main valve to the house and see if the problem persists. If it does you will know the leak is on the well side of the pump.

bob...

v10rick

Reaction score
speedbump said:
Turn off the main valve to the house and see if the problem persists. If it does you will know the leak is on the well side of the pump.

bob...

Bob this reads as if the pump should never run unless there is water useage.

The pump solenoid can only be heard in the Master Bedroom.

If the main is turned off and the pressure is moniored throughout the day should the gauge reading stay fixed at the usual 50psi?

Rick

v10rick

Reaction score
leejosepho said:
Do you possibly have a water softener set to do its flush at that hour?

no water softener and the icemaker is not working.

Speedbump

Reaction score
That's right, the pump should not be running at all unless your are using water enough to lower the pressure switch to it's cut in point. I think that is what you are calling the solonoid. Turning the valve off and monitoring the pressure is a good way of doing it also. If you run the pump up to it's shutoff then close the valve, the pressure may fall back 3 to 4 lbs. but after that it should stabilize. If it just keeps slowly falling back to turn on pressure you then have a leak somewhere between the pump and that valve. Assuming you have a submersible pump.

bob...

v10rick

Reaction score
speedbump said:
That's right, the pump should not be running at all unless your are using water enough to lower the pressure switch to it's cut in point. I think that is what you are calling the solonoid. Turning the valve off and monitoring the pressure is a good way of doing it also. If you run the pump up to it's shutoff then close the valve, the pressure may fall back 3 to 4 lbs. but after that it should stabilize. If it just keeps slowly falling back to turn on pressure you then have a leak somewhere between the pump and that valve. Assuming you have a submersible pump.

bob...

Thanks!
I will close the main and monitor the pressure.

BTW this is a submersible pump and it is the pressure switch that can be heard in the bedroom.
Rick

v10rick

Reaction score
How often should UPDATE

Both the main valve and pump circuit breaker were turned off Saturday evening...the gauge reading was exactly the same Sunday morning.

This was a relief but the pipes valves and fixtures were checked several times and all looked OK.

Knowing positively the leak had to be in the house another inspection was in order.

During the final recheck, this time with a flashlight, I spotted a very slight disturbance in the water of one our 1970s vintage low profile (always clogs) toilets. :eek:

The bowl was wet between the rim and the water on just one side.

Thanks for the tips everyone, U saved me a costly service call.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks