How much damage to PEX is too much?

Users who are viewing this thread

IPDQKWID

Reaction score
I have run a single PEX tube about 25 feet from the manifold to an upstairs shower, going through floor trusses, over a hill, through some woods, and along the way drug (dragged?) against the metal hasps (or whatever they are) on trusses, bolts from metal connectors, and every other piece of metal even remotely close. The PEX tubing has been nicked, gouged and otherwise become unpristine. Though it was stored on a concrete floor or on wire racks in the home improvement store and some coils had scratches already. The two pictures here probably don't show the damage perfectly. How much scratching is too much? These marks are the worst of the wear.

pex-damage-01.jpg

pex-damage-02.jpg

At what point do you replace the PEX? All of the damage like this is along the length of the pipe, but no where near the ends where they connect to fittings. I even noticed some PEX clips dig in a little on the outside of the pipe. Am I just being a Nervous Nelly?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Piping replacement should be followed by a pressure test. PEX that has not been subjected to sunlight will have no problem passing a 100psi pressure test, and this also ensures that any joints are also made well.

IPDQKWID

Reaction score
Yes, I will be pressurizing the system well before it gets enclosed, but I'm wondering whether 4-5 years from now those gouges will have weakened the wall enough to leak mid-length, buried in an insulated section behind some drywall, above a corner wall, and next to electrical lines, behind a vent pipe. But I guess I just answered my question. The connections/joints/fittings will all be behind easy access panels, it's the mid-run questions I'll lose sleep over, and a new 25' coil of PEX is $20 at most.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks