How Do I Grout This Decorative Tile

Users who are viewing this thread

DougB

Reaction score
I try to stop batches at corners so's any color change is less noticeable.

I have 320 sq/ft of 12" x !2" wall tile to grout in my master bath. I left off the bottom course of tile, so it can overlap the floor joint. Because of the 'mess' I would really like to grout the walls first (before installing the floor tile). But I was concerned about grouting the last course - as it might look 'different'???

DougB

Reaction score
In from Laticrete -

"Thank you for the message. Please note that PERMA COLOR Grout can be sealed. It is an ANSI A118.7 compliant high performance cement based grout. Although it has improved stain resistance, when compared to traditional / standard ANSI A118.6 compliant cement grouts, a sealer can improve its performance and make it more resistant to spills and stains.

Hope this helps."

On the bag it says "Contains Kelvar" - that's what they use to make body armor! It's bullet proof - I'm going to test it tonight!

Dhagin

builder:anti-builder
Reaction score
Hi Doug. :)

Trying to stop batches in corners is a hold over from the days before color controlled grouts like Permacolor. With a project like yours, a wide open floor, or similar, we measure batches carefully and grout away. Never had any issues with Permacolor or similar grouts by doing this.

Another control you have over grout color variation is the water. If it's questionable, then use distilled water for everything - mixing, cleanup, all of it. The additional cost isn't much in the grand scheme of things, and you'll eliminate 1 more variable when it comes to color consistency. :)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I'll use distilled water, and I have a digital scale to weigh the grout.

Now your talking Dirty Doug! - Its the only way.... Some times just a splash of Perrier.

Do I dry run. Tile mock up. The water content for me was a little high. But hell - I also thought you could not use sealer.

DougB

Reaction score
How many sq/ft of 12" wall tile can a DIY'er like me sanely do? I was going to start with a 36 sq/ft area. My worry is the clean up.

The Lacticrete instructions say to mist and cover with paper to hydrate the grout. Do you do that?

JerryR

Reaction score
In from Laticrete -

"Thank you for the message. Please note that PERMA COLOR Grout can be sealed. It is an ANSI A118.7 compliant high performance cement based grout. Although it has improved stain resistance, when compared to traditional / standard ANSI A118.6 compliant cement grouts, a sealer can improve its performance and make it more resistant to spills and stains.

Hope this helps."

I guess what you were smelling was that you were wrong and Jim was right.

John, your childlike feud is annoying.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How many sq/ft of 12" wall tile can a DIY'er like me sanely do? I was going to start with a 36 sq/ft area. My worry is the clean up.

The Lacticrete instructions say to mist and cover with paper to hydrate the grout. Do you do that?
Depending on the temperature and humidity, I have trouble trying to grout more than about that area before first, the grout in the bucket starts to cook off, and second, it gets harder than I'd like to start to shape the joint and clean up the tile. It takes time to ensure you get all of the grout joints well packed, and most grouts don't have a very long pot life.

Any concrete prefers ample moisture to fully cure. I've never covered things to restrict evaporation, but have periodically misted my tiled counters for a few days after installing the tile. It can't hurt, I'm not sure it is necessary unless maybe it's really breezy (windows open), or it gets direct sunlight. The grout will only become stronger if you do, it may or may not be a problem if you don't. I have not run tests.

THe last three projects (a shower, tub surround, and a couple of floors) I did neither, and those have been holding up fine - grout nice and hard, no cracking, no color issues. That's not a huge sample, though.

For max performance, it never hurts to follow the instructions!

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
More importantly Doug, think about your tile first. is it not a slate? Or some textured porcelain? As i recall. Get some good pre seal on slate if it is and dont drip it on tile edges, focus on the joint, not slathering it everywhere. Perma color sets up quick, make small measured batches and use bottled water, clean tools and minimize cleanup by focusing and working quick. ....and Dana has a great point always stopping at corners...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks