How do I determine sump/sewage pump's discharging capability?

Users who are viewing this thread

ShinDiors

Reaction score
How do I know if a pump is stronger if I know the current discharge rate is not sufficient, for example, this 1/2 hp liberty pump has rate of 8400 GPH at 5ft, but the 1hp pump I got only has 7250 gph at 4ft. (curves from manufacturers attached), but requires much higher current/power than the 1/2 hp pump. The 1hp pump seems to have higher head according to the curves though. How do I compare this two pumps, if the max rate (speed at 0ft)matters, does it mean that my 1hp pump is not as strong as 1/2 pump i have right now (different brands)? I ask this because it looks like the failure prone portion of most pumps are the float switch, I was planning to use a Hydrocheck H6000 high-lo electric switch with the pump until I noticed that the switch is rated at 13.8A while this 1hp pump is 14.2A rated (3/4 hp ones would draw less than 12A which can be used with this switch). I attached the current Liberty pump 's curve and the new pump I just got (circled out the 1hp and 3/4 hp ones). If 3/4hp is what I need, then I would couple it with the electric switch no problem.
LE50_wl68oy.jpg
new_pump_curve_roycut.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
How high are you pumping? How far are you pumping? What are you pumping into?

I suspect the 1/2 is plenty, but that depends on what you are doing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks