How can I remove this escutcheon ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Al Gosztyla

Reaction score
How do I remove this escutcheon without damaging it? I don’t know the manufacture name; however these are in a home built in 1927 and the handles are not original.

a. Escutcheons are approx 3 inches in diameter and extend 2- ¼ inches from the tile wall.

b. Valves are on 8 inch center and stems extend 2 -7/8 inches from the tile wall.

c. The valve stems are 1/2 inch diameter with a 3/8 inch square being 3/8 inch deep on the end with a single threaded hole 3/16 inch from the end of the stem.

I need to free a "seized" valve stem and I would like to re-chrome the escutcheons if I can get them off without damaging. Is it "snapped on" or "threaded"
escutcheon closeup (153kb).JPG
Shower valve stem (a) (185kb).JPG
?

Al Gosztyla

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd love to see how this turns out. HJ might have some insight, but probably nobody else on here. Tell me about that avatar.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mighty big escutcheon. Try unscrewing it, and if you have o use an adjustable wrench, put a small rag on it.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Kind of hard to work with the old stuff. Plumbing or electrical. Things haven't been settled down and standardized yet.

Asktom

Reaction score
The smaller part on top is the actual escutcheon and it unscrews. When you get it off the bottom part will just pull off, it is just a box flange that somebody added, no doubt because the stem pokes out of the wall too far.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
How do I remove this escutcheon without damaging it? I don’t know the manufacture name; however these are in a home built in 1927 and the handles are not original.

a. Escutcheons are approx 3 inches in diameter and extend 2- ¼ inches from the tile wall.

b. Valves are on 8 inch center and stems extend 2 -7/8 inches from the tile wall.

c. The valve stems are 1/2 inch diameter with a 3/8 inch square being 3/8 inch deep on the end with a single threaded hole 3/16 inch from the end of the stem.

I need to free a "seized" valve stem and I would like to re-chrome the escutcheons if I can get them off without damaging. Is it "snapped on" or "threaded"View attachment 45959 View attachment 45960 ?

Al Gosztyla

upload_2018-4-15_12-16-27.png

Try PB Blaster. (for you plumbers who have never used this stuff, I just changed your life)

Al Gosztyla

Reaction score
To Fullysprinklerd,

The Avatar is the Coat of Arms of Poland. It is a white eagle with its wings spread out, with a crown, golden beak and claws and the coat of arms - an eagle with a red emblem shield backdrop.

The escutcheons are now removed. My next battle will be getting the valve stems out.

Al

Al Gosztyla

Reaction score
DSCN0801 (Large).JPG
DSCN0805 (Medium).JPG

It took a lot of PB Blaster with an extension tube to get behind the escutcheon and a large size strap wrench.
(images attached).

Now I need to get the valve stems out to see what is left of the seats and washers.

Thanks for all the advice.

Al

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sometimes I have to question my career choice when I'm working on the older stuff that's been sitting there corroding for decades. It does stimulate creativity though. Thanks for 'splaining the coat of arms, Al.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks