Hot Water recirculating pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Maemer

Reaction score
I live in a 90+ year old house & when this house was built, they probably didn't even have indoor plumbing. We have a 40 gallon gas hot water heater that is approx. 10 years old. I have to run the water in the bathroom for a good while before it gets hot and I was wondering about the Grundfos Comfort System UP-15-10.
Main unit is attached to water heater and the other is put on the faucets further away.
I'm at a loss of which brand to buy.
Any suggestions?

Onokai

Reaction score
Funny you mention this as I'm putting in one in a few weeks.
Get a copy of this of this months fine homebuilding-(issue 249 Feb/March2015)there is a article on just what you ask.
It reviews a few systems and brands with basic layout-I'm setup for a straight hot water return line but you may not-the article gives you a few options with operating costs-Its really worth a look.
I'm going with a new ECM grundfos comfort PM auto but if you cannot do a hot return your options would include your mentioned punp or Xylem ECM pump under several brands like Bell and Gossett (ecocirc wireless) its a cross linked wireless system.
I suggest getting a copy and reading it so can see your options. The ecm pumps use 90% less power than an 87w pump.
Mark

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
We have the Grundfos Comfort System, with the pump at the HWH and one crossover valve at the end of each of two hot water branches. Just find the sink at the end of the line and hook it up. Our makes an enormous difference; warm water instantly, hot quickly. Don't know how we lived without it. We just leave the pump running all the time, because the enormous distance between the HWH and the end of the branch is so great that to do otherwise would be useless.

The exact same system is marketed under the Watts brand at Home Depot, including the pump and one valve and hardware. Made by Grundfos. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-Hot-Water-Re-Circulating-Pump-with-Timer-500800/100426993

Onokai

Reaction score
My advice is use one of the new Grundfos ECM pumps as they draw only 5-8 watts over the older versions-they also are variable speed .
The cross links at furthest sinks will complete your system if you cannot run a hot water return line.
Mark

Maemer

Reaction score
Funny you mention this as I'm puttinh in one in a few weeks.
Get a copy of this of this months fine homebuilding-(issue 249 Feb/March2015)there is a article on just what you ask.
It reviews a few sytems and brands with basic layout-I'm setup for a straight hot water return line but you may not-the article gives you a few options with operating costs-Its really worth a look.
I'm going with a new ECM grundfus comfort PM auto but if you cannot do a hot return your options would include your mentioned punp or Xylem ECM pump under several brands like Bell and Gossett (ecocirc wireless) its a cross linked wireless system.
I suggest getting a copy and reading it so can see your options.The ecm pumps use 90% less power than an 87w pump.
Mark

Maemer

Reaction score
Me again...I lived in a different house in 2002...I had the recirculating pump installed at sink furthest from water heater...that pump made it the every tap in my house had hot water instantly....
Question...does this Grundfus Comfort System (for older home) only give hot water to where you installed the crossover valve?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends on how the piping is laid out in your home...a manifold system would only get hot water to the manifold except for the branch where the cross-over was installed. A tree and branch system, it would depend on what else was on that branch and how far from the trunk those lines were. My place is the latter (probably more common), and everything isn't far from the trunk, so placing the cross-over at the furthest location means hot water everywhere fairly quickly.

If, say, your WH was in the middle of the house, and there were main trunks going both directions, a cross-over on one end would have no effect on the other. But, you can install multiple cross-over points.

Csuruki

Reaction score
I live in a 90+ year old house & when this house was built, they probably didn't even have indoor plumbing. We have a 40 gallon gas hot water heater that is approx. 10 years old. I have to run the water in the bathroom for a good while before it gets hot and I was wondering about the Grundfos Comfort System UP-15-10.
Main unit is attached to water heater and the other is put on the faucets further away.
I'm at a loss of which brand to buy.
Any suggestions?
Check out the ACT D'mand C1-100-pf. It is an on-demand pump so you only get the hot water when you need it rather than during a certain time of day when the timer is set. www.needhotwater.com

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use a Laing system, but I'm sure all return systems work in a similar fashion. Best advice I can give you is to get the installation directions for the particular brand and model you are interested in. Mine has a check valve and an air bleeder. I opted not to use a timer on mine so I have instant hot water anytime I want it. I don't feel there is a significant added cost, but opinions on that will vary, and I have not measurement of power usage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks