Hot water heater - mystery part?

Users who are viewing this thread

hhcibtpaun

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

So, I am finishing up my PEX project and pulled off the inlet and outlet pipes on my hot water heater and found a "mystery" part. I unthreaded the pipes and found some plastic pieces - one came off and one stayed in the HWH. Can someone tell me what this is, and do I need it? I have a feeling if I try to pull this out of the pipe it may break....so can I get a new one?

HWH1.jpg
hwh2.jpg

TIA...Mike

Reach4

Reaction score
A heat traps that came with the nipple on the WH.

The purpose is to keep water from circulating and giving up heat to the piping, especially the input pipe. Before there were these kinds of heat trap, there were types that used pipe. Your search term would be this:

"heat trap" "water heater"

hhcibtpaun

Reaction score
A heat traps that came with the nipple on the WH.

The purpose is to keep water from circulating and giving up heat to the piping, especially the input pipe. Before there were these kinds of heat trap, there were types that used pipe. Your search term would be this:

"heat trap" "water heater"

Thanks. So, I did that search and I found just the plastic inserts and actual nipples that have them. Would I want to replace the nipples, or just the plastic pieces?

Thanks...Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks