horned wax

Users who are viewing this thread

Brawndo Plumbor

I like money.
Reaction score
I would pull the bowl and make sure there is nothing blocking the exit.

The directions on the box of wax, show the wax stuck to the "bowl".
Plumbers put the wax on the "floor" and then drop the bowl on that.

Also, some horn wax rings will flatten out on some flanges.
There is a high rise in Bellevue, where the entire building was plumbed with Sterling toilets and the small closet flanges.
We're changing out the building bathroom by bathroom with Toto toilets it seems. And not using the horned wax there.

(sorry if the word wrap is messed up / haven't figured it out last edits)

Perhaps this is my problem, I am not a plumber though I have installed several toilets. One Kohler I don't know remember the model at my folks house a few years back in Bellevue. Replaced about a 1970's 3 gallon type that I think got scratched inside enough that Mom wanted it out. The kohler that replaced it may be a Sterling model? Anyway its worked fine never plugged that I know of though its somewhat lame at clearing bowl. This was mounted on a cast iron flange in the basement that is the full size flange I think what 4". However Dad currently refuses to have the either 1962 American Std upstairs changed. I rebuilt one already.

I ran a condo site once that in then end had a top floor toilet plugging that had a Y also between 2 units this plugged in the end we found after getting a camera down the pipe with it removed there was some wood cut out from the top plates that a plumbing apprentice had cut using a sawzall. He had tried to enlarge the hole for the pipe by removing essentially two C or Moon shaped pieces of plate which fell in the pipe. These were stuck together in an X form in the pipe farther down and just a nudge from the camera knocked them apart.

My problem today is we had a small Crane installed for years that plugged a bit. An early 1.6 toilet. We replaced it with another toilet not a drake or ecodrake as we considered but a cheaper toilet as we are not that wealthy. The first use for a Number 2 and the toilet seemed to clog a bit like the Crane. The toilet is used by a very small elderly man for that about every two days. It didn't actually clog but I felt it didn't flush as well as it did when installed minutes before. When this happened with the little Crane it we could get it to start flushing better by pouring a 2 gallon bucket of water down it. This improved the flushing again on the new toilet too. So it didn't actually clog but seemed to not flush right.
Sorta glog glog till we ran the bucket of water through it. Perhaps his poo is like glue that demands a 3.2 gallon flusher.

This is a St Thomas Creations Palermo elongated. I know this is perhaps not the correct place to be discussing other names but thats what it is. I am thinking that perhaps the flange which this idiot quick remodel home owner who had no business using tools installed is the 3" or the smaller one. Everything else he did here often was wrong or did not meet code. He fernco sealed the new abs into the cast iron with std Fernco seals but I don't know how he could have used full clamped seals as the abs and cast seem a bit different in size but imagine there is a correct method. My impression from looking at in the past was he broke the cast iron rather than cut it too. However I am probably wrong the pipe which must be 4" appeared to be abs glued in to protrude from the center of the flange even a bit above the flange in one area thus must be a std 4" abs of 1980- 1990s. The flange would be a home depot or more likely paynpak if you remember them blue painted tin with abs as part of it.

The floor is built on rippers on an old deck. But he couldn't even get that right by the toilet flange its about 1/2" out of level leaning back towards the house. So in an attemp to get it more even I may be flattening the horned ring out too much. Perhaps its just the new toilet is no better and should have bought a drake but after reading about others drakes sometimes clogging I thinking since this is happening with a little better 1.6 then maybe its me (installer error) because I had reinstalled the Crane too once before also with a horned wax ring.
In my manly brawndo must make this seal better over crushed it?

photos below of how out of level the flange/floor and installed toilets waterline is

The closet flange is sticking up off the floor about 3/8" at least maybe a bit more so in attempt to get the toilet more down to the floor I may be flattening it too much? I think I will pull it back off and see, but am curious how often this is a problem? I did not see an unusual amount of wax blocking the passage when I pulled the Crane but the seal was flattened out like nearly 8" in my mind.

In the situation you wrote about Terry in Bellevue did you use non horned wax seals to fix that issue with the new drakes and if so why would a non horned wax work better as far as blocking the passage? Or did you use one of those FluidMaster non wax flanges? My impression was those are designed for flanges that are low due to tile being installed above the flange or about same height?

Thanks Terry for your help / advice and great website!

Attachments

• 01152007.jpg
    01152007.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 262
  • 01152007(006).jpg
    01152007(006).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks