Hiding door swing in remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Spfrancis

Reaction score
Looking for ideas on something besides a pocket door that the contractor put in the plan. This stairwell goes up to a master suite on the second floor. We thought about not having a door at all, but felt that for the 1-2 times a year that we have a big group visiting, and staying up late..we would get too much sound in the bedroom upstairs. I would like to get rid of the pocket door wall, to make the kitchen feel bigger. I don't want a regular door to swing into the kitchen area..as that would get in the way. I'm wondering if there are door that would swing 270 degrees to go flush to the perpendicular wall. Not sure if they make hinged doors like that.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• newplanpocketdoor.png
    newplanpocketdoor.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 142

Spfrancis

Reaction score
it would really make the top look very closed off, as now it is a 1/2 wall on the one side coming up the stairs. It would not feel as grand coming upstairs.
My wife wants to change the current kitchen design to have all the cabinets and appliance on the left side, and make the current section with fridge go away. Making that section the walk way through, which would make the kitchen feel big, and the entry way to the front room feel big as well. I like the idea, but the goal would be to get rid of that pocket door wall.

Attachments

• upstairs-remodel.png
    upstairs-remodel.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 141

Stuff

Reaction score
You are discovering some of the reasons that bedrooms and bathrooms aren't normally adjacent to kitchens. Do you really want things always open so all of the kitchen smells float up to your bedroom suite? Get a real architect to consult as they should have more design ideas than the contractor.

Spfrancis

Reaction score
Yeah with 50x100 lots, and with no building 15feet off of back, and 10 feet off the front(for a porch), and 6 feet on each side..make it much tougher to create a lot of spacing. We also don't want to do a tear-down for cost considerations. We are not really as worried about the kitchen smells. We are adding that 2nd floor to get our privacy for a master suite. The stairwell went there to go on top of the existing stairwell to basement..for space considerations.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks