Help with strange well water pressure problem

Users who are viewing this thread

noysboy

Reaction score
I have a well system with a large 119 Gallon air tank. The cut in/out pressure is 40/60.
After the tank is a spin down filter, then a whole house water filter (3 filter system with gauges on each filter)

When 2 or more water uses (dishwasher, shower(s), toilet(s)) the pressure through the filter system drops to near 5-10 psi! Almost zero...but the gauge right after the air tank will still be normal, sometimes at 50 psi.

Once the water requirement goes back down, the filter gauges will rise back up to ~2-3 psi below the air tank gauge.

This weirdness just started happening.

The air tank is old, but when I search on the symptoms of a waterlogged air tank, or a bladder failure, it seems that it would show up as a drop in pressure at the air tank gauge and short cycle the well pump. This is NOT happening.

So the pressure before the filter system can be 50 psi, but then through the filters it cant push the water through fast enough. Unfortunately, I dont have a bypass on the filter system.

Anyone have any ideas?

Reach4

Reaction score
Probably, when you are not using water, the gauges should read the same.

So you have a spin down filter , and then a gauge after that, and before anything else.

The spin down filter probably needs its screen cleaned or replaced.

noysboy

Reaction score
When nothing is on, all the gauges are the same. As soon as I open a single faucet or flush a single toilet, the pressure goes to near zero psi on all the gauges except the one right after the air tank.

The spin down filter is clean and in good shape.

noysboy

Reaction score
Also, everything was working fine for months. This strangeness just started a couple of weeks ago.

Reach4

Reaction score
Where is the first gauge after the pressure tank, and what is between the first two gauges?

There is a partial blockage in that path.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks