Help with shower diverter

Users who are viewing this thread

1823maple

Reaction score
Have been having a slow leak for awhile I guess and I didn't notice it. I knew something was bad for awhile I would turn the water off when I was not showering. Have been planning on remodeling bathroom but just haven't had the money to do it with this being my only bathroom.

My friends that are plumber are all just saying cut out what I have and redo it but I'm giving a last ditch effort to fix what I have.

Here's picture of my 3 valve shower/tub faucet in a late 1940s home. It has to have been repiped at one point but not sure when or by how good of a plumber. There is access from the back and bottom(as I cut out drywall under neath to find leak.

It had to of been the shower diverter or the hot/cold cartridges or a mixture of them all.

I have everything off. The handles didn't seem too bad, the faucet was the worst looking but I think diverter and both handles cartridges need to be replaced.

I have a picture of the diverter that says GOBO 090 but can't find that exact part but found many that look identical but are made under other brands. Purchased a danze off Amazon.

Looking for any help or guidance before I end up going with my friends advice and rip out some tile to replace the diverter to a mixing valve.

Attachments

• IMG_4246.jpeg
    IMG_4246.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4242.png
    IMG_4242.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4243.png
    IMG_4243.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 21

1823maple

Reaction score
Going to post a link on imgur with all the pictures that I couldn't post to original post

Last edited:

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have been having a slow leak for awhile I guess and I didn't notice it. I knew something was bad for awhile I would turn the water off when I was not showering. Have been planning on remodeling bathroom but just haven't had the money to do it with this being my only bathroom.

My friends that are plumber are all just saying cut out what I have and redo it but I'm giving a last ditch effort to fix what I have.

Here's picture of my 3 valve shower/tub faucet in a late 1940s home. It has to have been repiped at one point but not sure when or by how good of a plumber. There is access from the back and bottom(as I cut out drywall under neath to find leak.

It had to of been the shower diverter or the hot/cold cartridges or a mixture of them all.

I have everything off. The handles didn't seem too bad, the faucet was the worst looking but I think diverter and both handles cartridges need to be replaced.

I have a picture of the diverter that says GOBO 090 but can't find that exact part but found many that look identical but are made under other brands. Purchased a danze off Amazon.

Looking for any help or guidance before I end up going with my friends advice and rip out some tile to replace the diverter to a mixing valve.

A lot of town have a plumbing supply shop that specializes in stems and rebuilds. Call you local plumbing supply and just ask if they know of a local company that does that. If so, remove the stems and take them to our local stem shop. They should be able to advise you and match up stems. This is why most plumbers don't fool with old equipment. Your friends are right. Replace that entire valve with a good old delta single handle and a reno plate.