Help with leak behind tiled wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew21

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a huge leak. I need your help here and I'm stuck not knowing what to do.

The shower has a single handle shower with a tub diverter. The shower valve and pipes are behind a tiled wall. The outside wall is the siding, sheathing, etc. I have limited access underneath the tub where I can see the shower drain and some of the supply piping.

Here's what I've done so far to diagnose.

Put water in the tub, the stopper opens, the tub drains, no leak.
Turn on the water, just to the tub spout, hot and cold, water drains no leak.

Turn on the shower, pull up on the diverter, cold or hot, the water leaks from under the tub. I can't see where its coming from but I thought it was from the overflow. I put plastic sheets over and in the tub spout, still leaks. The leaks appear only when the tub diverter is pulled up and the water comes up the shower head.

I opened up the shower trim and look around. I don't see anything wet. My dad stuffed insulation in the walls before we closed it up and everything is dry. I tried looking in where the shower head stem comes out but the hole is too small, just enough for the pipe and the cover. Looks dry to me.

So I'm not sure if I should take down the siding, cut the hole out and see where its leaking. Or bust the tile down and go from there. Thing is that I have deco tile which I can't get anymore.

I'm not sure what to do here. If you would like, I can get some pictures for you to see

Thank you

Reach4

Reaction score
What is on the other side? If it is a closet, go thru that wall.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
dont bust wall yet...
try removing spout and temporary capping the stub out nipple might have a pvc nipple or cracked nipple that only leakes with the extra back pressure on it ? bad solder joint ? you might be able to perform repair just changing nipple or spout

Andrew21

Reaction score
dont bust wall yet...
try removing spout and temporary capping the stub out nipple might have a pvc nipple or cracked nipple that only leakes with the extra back pressure on it ? bad solder joint ? you might be able to perform repair just changing nipple or spout

Hmm...good call on this.

Both the tub spout and the shower head have one of those 90 degree drop elbows that were soldered on.

I'll try the stub out first on the spout. I didn't try that yet but its a good idea. Thanks, I'll report back

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Remove the tub spout and the valve body trim plate. At the valve body, look at the pipe going to the shower head as it is probable leaking right at the valve body or a fitting just past it if any. The leak is probably spraying downward hitting the tub since you mentioned the overflow.
I had at one time made a bad solder joint going to the shower head. It was a very very fine spray and never noticed it for years until I saw mold on the drywall in the garage. Fortunately I had access from the garage wall. I used DensShield backer board and absolutely no damage to the tile or backer board.

Last edited:

Andrew21

Reaction score
Remove the tub spout and the valve body trim plate. At the valve body, look at the pipe going to the shower head as it is probable leaking right at the valve body or a fitting just past it if any. The leak is probably spraying downward hitting the tub since you mentioned the overflow.
I had at one time made a bad solder joint going to the shower head. It was a very very fine spray and never noticed it for years until I saw mold on the drywall in the garage. Fortunately I had access from the garage wall. I used DensShield backer board and absolutely not damage to the tile or backer board.

Thank you. I'll take pics of everything when I take the trim pieces off and the spout. Perhaps more eyeballs are needed here.

Andrew21

Reaction score
I had at one time made a bad solder joint going to the shower head. It was a very very fine spray and never noticed it for years until I saw mold on the drywall in the garage. Fortunately I had access from the garage wall. I used DensShield backer board and absolutely no damage to the tile or backer board.
So I took off the tub spout to check the O ring from the delta spout adapter and all is okay. I changed out the O ring just in case and took off the tape on the threads to retape them. Checked inside the wall and it seems drier than the desert. I'll take the valve body trim plate soon to take a look. But here are the pics of the tub spout adapter

3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Those threads that you are taping normally need not be taped. Won't hurt.

You would want to use some silicone grease (not adhesive) on your o-ring. I would not take it apart to do that, just to lube up.

Molykote 111 5.3 ounce tube is a lifetime supply. It is thicker than release compound. I use it for static rubber-like seals. Also good as a lube for compression connection threads.

Where did you get the o-ring-- Delta, or other? And if a non-Delta o-ring, what size is it?

Last edited:

Andrew21

Reaction score
Those threads that you are taping normally need not be taped. Won't hurt.

You would want to use some silicone grease (not adhesive) on your o-ring. I would not take it apart to do that, just to lube up.

Molykote 111 5.3 ounce tube is a lifetime supply. It is thicker than release compound. I use it for static rubber-like seals. Also good as a lube for compression connection threads.

Where did you get the o-ring-- Delta, or other? And if a non-Delta o-ring, what size is it?
If I'm not mistaken, I bought it from Delta and the number is RP1745

I did notice that there's some water coming out of the relief hole from the spout when the diverter is activated. I think that has to do with the washer thats inside. I already have it but need to replace it. Don't think that was the issue.

Reach4

Reaction score
Delta Faucet RP17454 Tub Spout Pull-Down Diverter, Chrome. That is what I have.
(RP17453 is same but plastic) RP5836 similar but adapter RP33794 has set screw.(confirmed)
The plastic could be preferable if your water is a bit hard on some metals.

The RP12307 tub spout adapter measures 1.80" in length and 1.12" in diameter. That probably came with your spout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks