Help with hach 5B test

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, Questions and Answers' started by jayinct, Feb 11, 2015.

1. jayinct

jayinct New Member

I lost the small scoop that comes with the hach 5b test kit. Does anyone know the size of the scoop so I can accurately measure the powder for testing?

Thanks in advance.
    Jay

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

About
    0.179in = 4.55 mm dia 0.205in= 5.2 mm which would be
    0.08455 mL if my measurments were right on. Just using a digital caliper, so my measurements are likely off. I wonder if I could be off enough for it to really be 0.1 mL. Could be. I don't know.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jayinct

jayinct New Member

I called hach and they said to measure 0.1gram. They don't sell the measuring scoops and my kitchen scale only weighs 1 gram and up. Any ideas?

5. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Water systems designer, R&D, Technical Director
    The amount of the powdered chemical is not critical, someone explained the math too me a few years ago, something to do with the amount of water and the dropper were the actual parts that are critical, not the colorant... made sense, then I tried it. I used two scoops instead of one and got the same results. It was also easier to see the color change (I have very little color vision).

You can simply sprinkle a tiny amount of the chemical, approximating the amount.

I will retest the kit tonight with multiple scoops to see what the difference is and if the quantity of the powder is that critical.

6. Bannerman

Bannerman Well-Known Member

Deleated

7. jayinct

jayinct New Member

I've estimated what the powder measurement should be and then tried with more and then again with less and I seem to come out with the same result each time. It will be interesting to see your results, ditttohead.

8. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

Owner of a Water Well and Pump Repair Business
    My kit came with the scoop handle broken so I'm in the same boat. I emailed the supplier to see if they'll send me a new scoop since it came broken in the box.

9. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

It's about 1/8 of a teaspoon but like Ditto said, it's not really critical. More just makes it darker pink, less makes it lighter pink but the drop count doesn't change.

10. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

By my measure it is closer to 1/64th of a teaspoon than 1/32nd of a teaspoon.

11. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Water systems designer, R&D, Technical Director
    1-5 scoops, same results at 11 GPG.

Reach4 likes this.
  12. petepdx

petepdx Member

If you are not in a rush, go to that big auction/junk site and search for "Digital Jewelry Scale", But it Now. You can get one out of CN for < $10.
    Or take a small container (old pill bottle?) and ask a local jeweler to measure it for you.

-pete