Help toilet too close to side wall

Users who are viewing this thread

dns301

Reaction score
After floor guys installed a Glacier Bay all-in-one high efficiency toilet in supposedly same place, I noticed there is only 6 inches between base of toilet and side wall. From side wall to center of toilet measures 12", not 15" which is code. Contractor says in order to correct it according to code he would have to jackhammer concrete and redo plumbing costing well over $1000. This toilet has an 18" bowl. Would replacing this with a smaller toilet with a 14" bowl such a American Standard Compact Cadet 3 get me anymore room so a person could get their right hand around to wipe their backsides without banging their elbow into the wall ?

Lousy at math so appreciate your input.
dns301

taylor_tight_space.jpg

Looking for the toilet paper roll.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The code measures to the center of the toilet so moving the plumbing or wall is the only way to get it correct. As far as more room,even a small toilet would be pretty tight as far as space. 15" is the minimum for a reason. We usually give it more than 15"

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Residential codes wants a 30" space, 15" on center for a toilet.
In commercial, it's 36" with 18" on center, and more if it's a handicap stall.

index.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks