Help replacing unusual cast iron fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

jeffb53

Reaction score
Had a leak from the upstairs bathroom in my 1927 house. Opened up the ceiling to find a cast iron fitting I've never seen before - looks like a 4" closet bend with two 1-1/2" inlets for the tub and sink. I'd like to replace this section with ABS but I'm not sure how to do it in the space available. Suggestions welcome.
Concerns:
Is it kosher to tie the sink and tub into the toilet trap arm?
Is the santee kosher?

CastIronUS_1 - stack comes up from bottom right and connects to a long 90°, a santee, and another long 90° that leads to the roof. Joists run left to right. Top to bottom members are just nailers.
CastIronUS_1 - closer view of the closet bend. plastic pipe is my recent repair, replacing tub trap and copper.

CastIronUS_1.JPG

Attachments

• CastIronUS_2.JPG
    CastIronUS_2.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 180

jeffb53

Reaction score
You didn't say where the leak was.
The 1-1/2" ABS in the picture was the leak repair. Actually, the brass extension tube coming from the tub drain into the trap was split, but I had to pull the trap out to get to it.
I'd like to replace ALL the cast iron shown while I have access. The vertical run below this was already replaced due to corrosion. I'm adding a bathroom downstairs and need to replace the cast iron in the basement anyway as well as tie into the cast iron vent in the attic.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
The 1-1/2" ABS in the picture was the leak repair. Actually, the brass extension tube coming from the tub drain into the trap was split, but I had to pull the trap out to get to it.
I'd like to replace ALL the cast iron shown while I have access. The vertical run below this was already replaced due to corrosion. I'm adding a bathroom downstairs and need to replace the cast iron in the basement anyway as well as tie into the cast iron vent in the attic.

Need a lot more information/sketches before anyone can help you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks