Help! No water, no pressure, cap just clicking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Craddock13

Reaction score
Help! Last night the wife was washing her hands and my water just quit. No more. We live on a well, and normally have sand if we use to much at once, so we have had low pressure issues before but resolved them by cleaning pipes and airing pressure tank back up, but this is a new one. No water what so ever, I pulled the tank out and emptied what I could for water, but it seems like there is still a bunch of water inside. I tried airing it up to push it out. Nothing happened. The capacitor just clicks one click like every 30 seconds. The pump isn’t coming on and the gauge is at zero! It’s also Sunday. So no Plummer’s open.

Reach4

Reaction score
Shallow well pump above ground, submersible or what?
Where is this capacitor you speak of?
What can you tell us about the pump?

Craddock13

Reaction score
Shallow well pump above ground, submersible or what?
Where is this capacitor you speak of?
What can you tell us about the pump?

It’s a submersible pump, it’s a 90’+ deep well, pump is a 3/4 hp, I’m not sure how old the pump is, but my grandpa, who I inherited my home from, I don’t believe has ever replaced the pump and he lived here for 40 yrs. he did replace the pressure tank a couple years ago, which I tried to drain but there seems to be water trapped in it still. As for the capacitor, it just clicks once every 30 seconds or so and nothing happens.

Attachments

• 103FAA13-8395-45EE-91CB-69EA402D1BB4.jpeg
    103FAA13-8395-45EE-91CB-69EA402D1BB4.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 123

Reach4

Reaction score
I expect the thing clicking is the relay.

You could try replacing the start capacitor. That would be cheap, and perhaps worth a try before taking stronger action -- if you are not in a big hurry. I am not a pro.

What does that label say for Horsepower? at first I thought it looked like 1/4, but I now think it is 1 HP. That would be compatible with the 10 amp number.

So maybe you can just replace the control box with a new control box for a 1 HP 3-wire motor.

Last edited:

Craddock13

Reaction score
Do you need Jason’s cell phone number at Earth and Water Works?[/QUOTE

I called and left a message at earth and water works, I’m going to see if they can come out tomorrow. Hopefully it is just that capacitor and box. Way cheaper than a new pump. Thanks everyone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks