Help: need lower bowl water level tied adjust valve & brick in tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Malpert

Reaction score
I want to replace the inside of the tank with a more high quality insides not the home Depot plastic parts I have in there now. The issue is a high water level in the bowl, I have adjusted the side the tank screw and put bricks in the tank and the water level in the bowl is still too high. I'm think a better inside the Tank hardware will give me more coneroli is this thinking correct? What hardware do you recommend doing that is not the cheap plastic stuff I have there now?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The bowl's water level is determined by the design of the bowl, and NOTHING you do in the tank, except not allow water to refill the bowl, will change it. IF you DO DO something to lower the water level in the bowl, you may find out it takes two flushes to empty the bowl.

Reach4

Reaction score
I want to replace the inside of the tank with a more high quality insides not the home Depot plastic parts I have in there now. The issue is a high water level in the bowl, I have adjusted the side the tank screw and put bricks in the tank and the water level in the bowl is still too high. I'm think a better inside the Tank hardware will give me more coneroli is this thinking correct? What hardware do you recommend doing that is not the cheap plastic stuff I have there now?

It is unclear what you are trying to achieve. If you want less water in the bowl, and you want a good flush you can get a new toilet with a smaller water spot. I have not seen anybody with that objective before. If you want less water in the bowl, you could reduce the refill water that goes down the overflow during the fill. That would not help the toilet flush well. I presume flushing well is an unstated objective.

If you want to not have a cheap plastic fill valve, there are older brass and bronze ballcock fill valves available. They won't work better, but they will fulfill the objective of not being cheap. The Fluidmaster and Korky plastic adjustable units will work as well or better probably.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
HJ correctly pointed out that it is design of the bowl that determines the water level in bowl. Toilets are designed with their own P trap. This forms a water barrier so that sewer gas does not come into the house. The level is maintained by the weir that is the part of a P trap that hold the water in the trap. The amount of water in the tank has nothing to do with this. That water is simple held in storage until needed for a flush. While not relevant to your problem, the water in the tank can be use for drinking in an emergency. The brick in the tank trick was an early attempt to make a water hog toilet low flow. Didn't work. Adjusting the flush valve doesn't affect the water spot in the bowl either. If you want a smaller water spot, the only thing you can do is get a different toilet. The is absolutely no way to adjust or modify any toilet's water spot.

Reach4

Reaction score
. Didn't work. Adjusting the flush valve doesn't affect the water spot in the bowl either. If you want a smaller water spot, the only thing you can do is get a different toilet. The is absolutely no way to adjust or modify any toilet's water spot.
There is no proper way while maintaining good performance. But reducing the refill will lower the water in the bowl. It would not wise, but it would meet the stated objective.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I take exception to Reach 4's last statement. The internal design, in other words the weir, is the controller of the water spot. I suppose you could manually dip water out of the toilet after it has refilled, but that would be insane. If you have an older low flow toilet that isn't performing, you need a new toilet. I'm done here.

Reach4

Reaction score
I take exception to Reach 4's last statement. The internal design, in other words the weir, is the controller of the water spot. I suppose you could manually dip water out of the toilet after it has refilled, but that would be insane. If you have an older low flow toilet that isn't performing, you need a new toilet. I'm done here.
You are certainly right about what is reasonable and proper to do.

Yet if you were to make the refill hose not play into the overflow, the water in the bowl would sit lower. Lowering the water level in the bowl would be a bad thing to achieve.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A correctly adjusted toilet will just barely reach the bowl's design height when the tank reaches full. The only way to reduce the level in the bowl would be to either disrupt the balance between the bowl and tank refill rates, or lower the tank level while maintaining the same tank/bowl ratio. There is only one correct height in the bowl for a particular toilet. You can't make it higher, and lower often doesn't work! Lowering the tank's level means less pressure (think water tower) that will also affect the siphon jet, and performance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks