Heat pump safety switch chattering? Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

EdPDX

Reaction score
Heat pump (RUUD 10SEER ) fan motor hums, but NO SPIN. A minute or so after the thermostat brings the pump online the 60AMP safety switch that brings the power to the pump starts chattering- no visible movement. All leads show 114 AC. Ground looks good all the way to motor and chassis. I have not seen this chattering safety switch before. Any ideas what the heck is going on?

Attachments

• 370F78FF-40DE-46A7-8116-D7098296FA28.jpeg
    370F78FF-40DE-46A7-8116-D7098296FA28.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 717C699C-E3A5-42A9-A8D1-E63E69DB6E0C.jpeg
    717C699C-E3A5-42A9-A8D1-E63E69DB6E0C.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 48C41E09-ACE1-4CD0-B662-D119DED9E2B6.jpeg
    48C41E09-ACE1-4CD0-B662-D119DED9E2B6.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 75

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Why would a switch chatter? Could the vibration be from something else?
2. For measuring voltage on 240 volt items, measure between the two hots. Do not measure from hot to ground for normal measurement.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Complete model number and take a pic of the wiring diagram.
Reach4 wrote take volt reading across the two hots.
One lead on power to ground means nothing can be reading through a motor or the compressor. The crankcase heater wired across the contactor open contact can give a reading like that.

Last edited:

EdPDX

Reaction score
1. Why would a switch chatter? Could the vibration be from something else?
2. For measuring voltage on 240 volt items, measure between the two hots. Do not measure from hot to ground for normal measurement.
Reach4, if I knew what made the chattering sound I wouldn’t have posted a request for help The noise IS coming from the box where the switch is. I looked up the part number- it does not seem to have a relay- I posted the part number for the switch in question. 2.
Complete model number and take a pic of the wiring diagram.
Reach4 wrote take volt reading across the two hots.
One lead on power to ground means nothing can be reading through a motor or the compressor. The crankcase heater wired across the contactor open contact can give a reading like that.
The reading across the two hots is 236v Should have said. I'll post a wiring diagram/model number when I get home from work today. The motor and Capacitor were replace in Dec/2021, but anything is possible. Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
I found the box based on your first post. If the chattering comes from the box,.... hmmm

Can you open the box while this is operating? If you measure the voltage between both terminals of he same contact, the voltage should be near zero. If it is higher than... maybe a volt... I would say the switch is bad.

Edinpdx

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. I just went to my son's house- where the problem is. It IS NOT the Safety Switch box that is actually making the noise- There is an OUTDOOR Thermostat in a box next to the Safety Switch. After a minute or so IT starts to make the chattering noise. In the box is an older type dial set to 40 degrees. and what looks like a relay- lots of wires here. Does this part typically fail? I have never replaced it in 25 years.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Did u give us a model number,measure voltage across across both powers wires, wiring diagram of the outside unit? Condenser fan run?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks