Heat loss from uncontrollable exhaust vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Workingtoohard

Reaction score
So I live in a condo, and live quite close to the top floor, so according to the building engineer, I actually get pretty good airflow as the exhaust is the strongest near the top floor. Unfortunately, I think that is causing my unit to lose a lot of heat in the winter, driving up my electric bills to keep my unit warm. Currently, I have taped up 3/4 of the vent shut and sealing up doors to minimize air flow through the unit. Is there a proper expected airflow pressure through an exhaust vent? Any idea of a pressure test so I know whether I can tape up more of the vent?

Anyone else have other ideas I could do to minimize heat loss from an exhaust vent that can't be controlled?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd want to know what the exhaust was intended for. And, WHere does the makeup air come from? There are ways to extract the heat you've paid for, but that assumes you know where the incoming air is coming from. WHat usually happens is that those two air flows run through a heat recovery ventilation device. That may not be possible, nor may not be allowed, if the system is a building thing, versus one designed for your unit.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Unless you have balcony, a high rise condos and any other building needs an air exchange since there are no windows that can be opened for fresh air. Taping off returns you'll lose more air exchange and prevent heated air from entering your unit. That is if your heat and cool is provided by a forced air system from the building, but you mentioned the electric bill, is that for electric heat from and A/C air handler or electric baseboards?

Most of the exhaust systems will have smoke detectors required by code. Any smoke such as from a fire will shut down the system and trigger a building alarm to the fire company. You need to be careful on what you do. Usually the biggest energy draw for heating a space it the thermostat setting.

Workingtoohard

Reaction score
Currently have 3 PTAC units around the condo to generate heat. No central air from the condo. Main draft into my home is the air in the hallway, warm, but not as warm as I like it to be. And drafts out of my home are through 3 vents. I guess there is some central vent stack fan, so from what the building engineer is saying since I'm on a high floor, and what I feel at each of the vents, is a strong pull of air out of my home. I have recently bought a bunch of weatherstripping to seal my hallway door, thinking the less warm air from the hallway might be diluting my home temperature. Home still feels a little cold and I am wondering whether the negative pressure created by the vents might be drawing air through any possibly tiny leaks around the windows.

Slowly taping up each vent, not all the way, but most of the surface area to minimize the outflow of air, but a little worried that I might create a flow out inbalance, or insufficient air circulation? Worst case, poor venting after using the bathroom, propogating through the home through other vents? :s Any other ideas besides me taping up the vents?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Ptac units usually have a outside air damper and be manually operated. Buy a cheap thermometer and with heat off fan on measure temps at filter and air blowing out measure temp in several locations. If theres a difference they might be open.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks