Have to remove tile around toilet if water leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Loiwin

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a general question. So I noticed yesterday the bathroom cabinet and surrounding tiles, about 1/2 ft around the toilet on the 2nd floor had some water damage. The tiles weren’t wet or feel wet, but the grout seems wet and has some buildup or mold. The silicone around the base of the toilet is also discolored. I haven’t had a chance to pull up the toilet, but a few of my neighbors have all had wax ring install problems. I don’t have any water damage that I can see downstairs (yet).

My question is, if I was able to catch this problem in time, found out it was a bad wax ring, was able to replace it, do I have to remove the tiles and grout surrounding the toilet? Am I just able to let it dry over 10 days or more and be ok with keeping my tile/grout and cleaning the buildup? It would be easier if I didn’t have to replace all the surrounding tile. I’m ok with my cabinet looking bad, it’s only 1 inch that’s affected and not really noticeable. Thank you for any information!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks