Have a F&W submersible pump seems to have stopped, replaced QB control box

Users who are viewing this thread

Videorov

Reaction score
Replaced the QB Franklin control box but still not working. I did check for the power to the box and its
ok. Its 22o 3 wire and ground red,yellow,black, green wires.

The well is around 175ft deep 4" well and the pump in down about 80ft with pvc pipe if I remember right
the last time I put that pump down the well. I use it for garden irrigation now and it use to be for
the home till the county water came in. This pump has lasted around 10 years the first one ran around 20 years.
This F&W is model 4F10S10301

I wonder if the submersibles on ebay are any good that are selling for around $125 and a little more????
They don't seem to have the 3 wires with a ground wire like I have.
Anyone find one on ebay with this same wire system I have????

Thanks guys

Videorov

Reaction score
You can use a 220 volt 2 wire motor. You just don't need a control box and you only use 3 out of the 4 wires you have.

So you just wire it up direct with no control box and I guess not use the green wire. What colors are the 3 wire systems?
So hook up the two 110 wires and one wire for ground.

Reach4

Reaction score
So you just wire it up direct with no control box and I guess not use the green wire. What colors are the 3 wire systems?
So hook up the two 110 wires and one wire for ground.
From the Franklin AIM manual:
Y = Yellow lead - line
B = Black lead - main winding
R = Red lead - start or auxiliary winding

So if that is your color code, don't use the red for 2 wires.... However if you take out the box, one hot goes to a non-green, and the other hot goes to the other hot lead.

Do use the green for protective ground.

Videorov

Reaction score
If I left the box in which its right by the well it would do anything world it for the system. It has the replay and capacitor in it but
I thought all only works if I have the 3 wire plus ground setup.
Does the relay and capacitor start the pump up slower so there is not as much torque on the pipe??? Im not sure what it
suppose to do for the system and why they use them. I don't have a tank it goes to, I just throw a breaker switch to run the pump like
I have done for years.
The 3 wire plus ground pumps seem to coat alot more for some reason??
Thankyou all for your help

Reach4

Reaction score
If I left the box in which its right by the well it would do anything world it for the system.
No. It is best to get rid of it, or gut it. You could use it as a junction box, I think, but you don't want the circuitry connected.

If your well may run dry, there are protection units that will shut the pump off for a selectable time if you run out of water. They detect the loss of water by monitoring the current change.

Videorov

Reaction score
No. It is best to get rid of it, or gut it. You could use it as a junction box, I think, but you don't want the circuitry connected.

If your well may run dry, there are protection units that will shut the pump off for a selectable time if you run out of water. They detect the loss of water by monitoring the current change.

Sounds like I would just get rid of it and just sell it, since its brand new. I would just wire it direct to my black and white wires and ground
from the breaker. I have real good flat 4 wire going to the pump you see on the right side terminals.
If I understand how to hook the 2 wire plus ground system up. Im not sure what colors the 2 wire system is using Im looking at.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311488959696?ul_noapp=true This one Im looking at.

Attachments

• DSCF3723.JPG
    DSCF3723.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 486

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don't see any specs or a curve for that pump. But I can tell you a 33 GPM, 1HP will not pump from 200'. It is going to give up at about 175' total. So even if it gets water to the surface, there won't be any pressure.

You need a 10-15 GPM, 1HP pump to deliver about 12 GPM from 175' and still give 40-50 PSI for sprinklers and stuff.

Also it looks like that is a 3 wire pump with a control box.

Oh and it is also a 115 volt pump. Rare!

Videorov

Reaction score
I don't see any specs or a curve for that pump. But I can tell you a 33 GPM, 1HP will not pump from 200'. It is going to give up at about 175' total. So even if it gets water to the surface, there won't be any pressure.

You need a 10-15 GPM, 1HP pump to deliver about 12 GPM from 175' and still give 40-50 PSI for sprinklers and stuff.

Also it looks like that is a 3 wire pump with a control box.

Oh and it is also a 115 volt pump. Rare!

Im only down about 80ft with pipe but the well was drilled down to 175ft and I have never ran out of water and running for hrs in the gardens.
The model I had down for around 10 years is the F&W is model 4F10S10301

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Looking at a curve for a different brand of 33 GPM, 1HP pump, 180' is pump shut off head. That means if your water is at 80', the pump will be able to build a max of 43 PSI. So you might be able to use that pump with a 20/40 pressure switch, but it will be close. If the water level is higher it might be OK. But if you are switching to a 115 volt pump, you will probably need bigger wire.

Reach4

Reaction score

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Not assuming. I read it here.

Specifications

• Main Material: Stainless Steel
  • Size Of Pump:34"(H) X 4"(D)
  • Size Of Control Box:5.1"X6.1"
  • Voltage:110V/60Hz
  • Max Working Depth:15 M/(49 Ft)
  • Max Work Temperature :95 °F
  • Max Flow:33GPM
  • PH Value:6.5~8.5
  • The Length Of Power Cord:98 Ft
  • The Length Of Power Cord For Control Box:34.6"
Package Including:
  • 1X Deep Well Pump
  • 1X Control Box

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It also has this. Which the "built in start cap" and "control box" mean different things. Either it is 2 wire with a built in capacitor, or it is a 3 wire with a control box, but not both. Very little info on this pump and what there is may not be accurate. But for 100 bucks, what more do you want?

Feature
  • Brand New, Fine Designed
  • Stainless Steel Body
  • Used In Your House, Garden ,Reservoirs And Irrigation
  • Built In 1HP Capacitor Start
  • 200 Feet Max Head Is For Open Water Tanks
  • This Is A 2 Wire Pump With 3-Wires (2 Wires & Ground Wire)
  • 4"Iron Outlet And Iron Connection
  • Comes With Control Box

Videorov

Reaction score
Oh and that F&W model number is for a 10 GPM, 1HP, which is what you need for a deep well plus pressure.

Yea thanks for all the input. Im not sure what I will do for a replacement. Wish the F&W was cheaper priced. I think they have gone up since
I bought the last one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks