Hard Water At Home

Users who are viewing this thread

Jakki

Reaction score
Since we moved house we've had to replace our kettle about every 12 months. The amount of limescale that builds up on the element is incredible. I've never seen anything like it. The speed it builds up in the bottom of the kettle you just wouldn't believe.

I know it's caused by hard water and there's not much I can do about it. It's down to the water supply. But are there any other appliances it could be damaging that i need to be watching out for?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Hard water will shorten the life of water heaters, especially if it is gas fired. Hard water deposits will settle at the bottom and build up indefinitely. If it's an electric the WH heating elements can be buried in hard water deposits. If you hear gurgling with either a gas or electric WH, it is a sign that a coating of minerals is building up. Hearting some hissing or gurgling may always be present with hard water and the water heater can still last many years. For water heater once or twice a year drain the tank to help to flush away any deposits.

Essentially any appliance using water can be short lived. Dishwashers can get a coating inside the tub that will look nasty after a few years. Even the spray arm nozzles can fill up. If you have a DW, google dishwasher cleaner for hard water.

Jakki

Reaction score
Thanks for the info WorthFlorida. Our, central heating uses an oil burner, but all other appliances in the ohsue are electrically powered. We don't use a dishwasher but we have a washing machine for the clothes. ALl i can see in the inside of that is the inside of the drum. Can't see the water heating element anywhere. I tested our water supply using the bottle and soap home test. Like the one described in here, https://purewaterions.com/how-test-water-hardness. We just get cloudy water with a small skim of suds in the top of the bottle. Looks like there is a serious problems with the water supply. I'm going to try out that dishwasher cleaner you recommended. It's definitely worth a try if it helps save the dishwasher.

cheers
;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks