Hard water and high iron

Users who are viewing this thread

Nice1

Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm on a well and recently got these readings.

Hardness 30
Clear iron 10
PH 6.8
T.D.S 288

I have read that these levels are quite high, especially the iron and hardness. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for me. Could I solve all these issues with one unit? The place is about 2800sqft. 3 washrooms if that helps. Sorry, quite new to all this and trying to learn :)

Any advise appreciated. Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the hardness number in grains? I presume so if you are told your hardness is quite high.

Anyway, you should not try to take out the 10 ppm (mg/l) of iron plus soften the water with one unit. You need a backwashing iron filter.

How many GPM is your pump? How many people? How much water flow rate do you need for your Jacuzzi plus whatever? Do you have other water problems such as sulfur smell, manganese or something else?

See http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/softeners/sizingchart.htm including the link at the bottom that links to a calculator. Put down the iron as zero, because your backwashing iron etc filter will take care of that.

Last edited:

Nice1

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the help!
The hardness is is measured in g.p.g (30)
It's just for up at a big cottage, usually just 3 of us there a couple days a week but sometimes we''ll have extra people and have extended stays there.
I'm not sure how big the pump is but I was told we have an excellent recovery rate if that relevant lol. I can check in a few days when we go back up there.
Yes there is quite a strong sulphur smell.
I'm not sure on the water flow issue. We have 2 showers and a small bathtub.
Based on the information you entered, is your Daily Grains of Capacity needed. is the Total Grains of Capacity you need for approximately once per week regeneration with a 24 hr reserve. is the minimum cubic foot size of softener required for your capacity needs.

What about a unit like this https://www.lowes.ca/water-softener...in-water-softener_g1497774.html?ProductSlot=2
Seems like its much to small if we include taking out the iron? bc I didn't include iron in the calculator but when I did , the capacity skyrocketed

Thanks again

Nice1

Reaction score
It didn't show up there but it said I needed 43,200 capacity and 5400 per day along with a 2.5 cf size softener

Reach4

Reaction score
You would want softener with a separate brine tank and brine tank. Considering the occasional use, I would maybe go to 2 cuft. That is to say that since it is occasional use, it is not important to try to get a whole 7 days of use between regenerations.

For the iron+sulfur+etc, you want a backwashing filter with Katalox Light media. I don't know how to size those. We are talking some money here, because that media is expensive. Good water is worth it. You might be looking at something on the order of $2000 for parts and $400 for actual install for the whole thing if a plumber does it... May would be more if you get a turnkey install. I just made a WAG of a budgetary number.

Nice1

Reaction score
Thanks!. Is that a typo, the separate brine tank and brine tank?
Also, is that a backwashing Iron filter with katalox light media I need? Do you know where I could get one of those in Canada?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks!. Is that a typo, the separate brine tank and brine tank?
Also, is that a backwashing Iron filter with katalox light media I need? Do you know where I could get one of those in Canada?
Yes, separate resin and brine tank it should have been.

No, regarding Canada. I did not take that into account when I threw out guesses either.

_John_

Reaction score
30 gpg hardness is over 500 ppm...don't know how you get that low of a number for TDS if the hardness is really 30 gpg. If it's 30 ppm, personally I wouldn't worry too much about a softener and would install an iron filter (2 cu. ft. katalox light would be my personal choice assuming adequate backwash water). If it was truly 30 gpg, you would want a softener after the iron filter. Assuming 30gpg is right, I'd look for a 2 cu. ft with a metered Fleck control valve. That should be fairly easy to source and economical vs. a dept. store model.

Not sure where to get Katalox in Canada though.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Not sure where you are located in Ontario to suggest a local dealer.

If you're planning to complete your own install, or obtain the equipment and hire-out the install, you may want to start here: http://www.cwwltd.com/iron-manganese-sulphide-filters/

While CWW does not list Katalox as a regular stock item, they will special order non-stock items as they did for me previously for a non-stock resin. They maybe able to source the Katalox for you for inclusion in one of their iron removal filters.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks