Hard buildup in cast iron drain pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by STurner, Mar 18, 2017.

1. STurner

STurner New Member

I have started addressing a long-clogged kitchen sink drain that has led me below the floor to the crawlspace and to a cast iron drain pipe that was cracked part way down. I noticed it was filled with a hard brownish material that was impenetrable by auger so I decided to cut off the cracked section, which was about 6-8 inches of pipe. Even below that, right before the elbow, the pipe is filled with a very hard grayish-brown, seemingly metallic substance. I tried drilling the center but even that was difficult. Does anybody have any experience here or know what I am looking at? Thanks, Steve

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2017
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I've seen where people have dumped tile grout down a sink before. Not something that should ever be done.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

Probably cement grout, mortar or some type of epoxy that someone poured down the sink and it set up hard as a rock.