Hanging shower door

Users who are viewing this thread

Lois Lane

Reaction score
I ordered a frameless shower door from Aston. The door is lovely, and it stated it needed to be installed in a stud. Before I put up the shower walls I made sure I had a stud in the wall at the opening of my alcove shower. But when the door arrived the holes for the hinges were 1 1/2 inches apart. You see the problem, I needed not just a stud, but 2 studs next to each other in order to hang it. I called Aston customer service, but the answer I got was "yeah 2 studs next to each other is pretty standard". STANDARD? None of the showers I have in my house have two studs holding the door. This thing is way heavier than I expected though at least 50 lbs. Does anyone have any experience on having only 2 of the 4 holes on the hinge in the stud? There is NO WAY I can retrofit a stud in the (exterior) wall. I think I am going to end up sending this door back, but I would really like to use it, if anyone can suggest a solution.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Wing-its has some hollow wall anchors that are rated for 300#, so yes, there is a way. Not ideal, but I think, workable. I'd call them to verify first and get their recommendation on which one(s) would work for you. Products (wingits.com) now, the question ends up, would the larger hole required for the thing be covered by the door hardware.
Wingits anchor.jpg

Lois Lane

Reaction score
I love this forum! Thanks for the suggestion Jadnashua. I will look into it. My solution was redo the downstairs bathroom too, and use this shower door in there! My husband nixed that idea :(.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks