Handicapping A Fiberglass Bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

sotubre

Reaction score
How can I cut and replace a 12" piece from side of fiberglass bathtub to make it easer to enter for a handicapped person? :confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not sure you can retrofit to a fiberglass tub. ALl of those I've seen also use a much larger opening than 12". Here's hoping. Maybe a seat and some well placed grab bars?

sotubre

Reaction score
Thanks for replythe problem is lady can't bend legs much. 12" x 10'' would help a lot

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
dont do it

fiberglass is not too forgiveing and its best to get
some professional fibergalss reapir guy out there

to figure out what to do...

I wont even touch putting handicapped grab bars in a fiberglass
unit becausse you need wood backing behind where you want to install
the bars ,,,, then when you tighten down the screws to the wood
most fiberglass will compress and crack from the stress of being
squeezed down....

then you got a big mess on your hand...

proceed with caution

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fiberglass tubs are shell structures that depend on continuity of the shell for structural rigidity. If you cut a notch in the side of one you will have a floppy mess that you will never be able to close.

There are handicap accessible tubs with doors that seal. They are designed with structure that is rigid with a lot of reinforcement around the opening.

If you cut a 12" section out of a fiberglass tub, you will be making it into a piece of junk.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

You cannot cut a hole in the side of a fiberglass tub and still expect to use it normally. Either the amount of water would have to be reduced to the point where it would be like a deeper shower pan, or you would have to make a door in the tub, which would probably be impossible to do and keep it watertight.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
My advice would be to experiment on cutting out a section of the tub only if you are willing to throw it out if it doesn't work and buy a legit handicap model.

Might be a good project for a rotozip. I certainly haven't found any other use for that darned thing! :D

Eric

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks