Halo 5 system

Users who are viewing this thread

Reader90

Reaction score
Searched this forum and don't see any comments on the Halo 5 system. Is this nothing more than a multi-media based system with alternate scale removing media? I have read the info on thier website.

Reading here, I assume backwash rates and time of backwash may be an issue with this design.

Effectiveness of different media is suspect with so many types of media in tank

Flow rate issues?

Appreciate any comments, pros/cons from the pros here.

Thx

Reader90

Reaction score
Thanks for the info dittohead for the information.

Update. Talking with the family members about what was attractive about the Halo 5 system was 2 things. 1) they are interested in removing chlorine and other organics for the water (so coconut carbon) but 2) also the single tank design (from a sizing perspective due to the "limited" horizontal space presented and concern of space needed for a two tank system, i.e. assume two tank approach with one for softener and one for carbon. Yeah, there was some discussion about reduction of hardness vs. scale and methods to actually accomplish such. There was concern about amount of salt in the treated water using a softener and concern about their diet (I found this pretty funny as one, they put salt on everything even individual tortilla chips when we go out to a restaurant) and they drink/cook with under-sink RO water, a Watts 5 stage system they installed ~ 1/1.5 years ago, and thus far have changed the sediment and carbon filters every 6 months).

Anyway, it did get me to thinking about considering a single tank system then, with both medias of resin and carbon. I have read here in many posts that this is not recommended, but want to get thoughts on such a system (for example: https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/12-13, a stacked two tank system). Or, I have seen a single tank, with multi-media.

House is ~3000 sq. ft.
4 bedroom, 3 bath
2 people in home (assume 4 with visitors)
City water, uses chlorine, pressure ~48 - 50 as observed with pressure meter
Hardness = 19 grains (as measured by a Hach 5 test kit)
Couple of observations/comments/questions:

1. would 1.5 cu ft resin media be the right size. This conversation started with replacing a big-box softner system (all they have now).
2. I see the design of a hybrid stacked system with carbon has .5 cu ft of carbon. Is this enough? What about flow rates? How does the regen cycle work to ensure carbon and resin is flushed -- just a longer programmed rinse cycle?
3. I assume the most effective approach would be two tanks/two valves (side by side), with both 1.5 cu ft of each media (assuming that is large enough in my assumption).
4. I am confident I can convince the family to go two tank/two valve side by side and make it fit, may have to go with a smaller brine tank (more salt reloads of course). Would this be the most desired design?

Mostly want to ensure I have the right info, consider trade-offs of a stacked or multi media system before next conversation.

Thanks in advance for any comments!!

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The stacked tank systems are good if they are designed correctly and applied properly. The upper chamber only houses .5 cu. ft. of carbon. This is typically adequate for significant chlorine reduction in a normal sized house. Changing the carbon every 3-5 years is very simple and inexpensive. If you have space limitations then the stacked units are far better than the units with the medias mixed together. Separate tanks allow for a much larger quantity of carbon. In general our testing shows that the .5 ft3 carbon systems can achieve a 90+% reduction in chlorine for several years. The larger 1.5 ft3tanks tend to achieve 95%+.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks