Just have 1 question about a Fleck5600 SXT AIO

Users who are viewing this thread

DR_DX

Reaction score
Will a Flex5600SXT AIO with a 5gal DLFC sufficiently daily backwash a 8x44 tank with Vortech plate filled with .75 cuFt of Filox and 1" garnet underbed?

Information:
Control Head = Fleck 5600 SXT AIO w/ 5gal DLFC
Filter Tank = Enpress Vortech 8x44 (up to 30% reduced BW flow rate required)
1680587320313.png

Filter media = Alamo A8033 Filox w/ 1" garnet underbedding
Backwash = Daily, 15 minutes, 5gal/min @ 60 psi
Maximum service rate = 4gal/min (shower, washer, and sink all running) 2 people
Well Water Daily Usage = ~50 gal (max 100gal) of 2~4ppm Ferrous Iron (turns to Ferric after several days); No Arsenic, Manganese, Chlorine, or H2SO4 (S. Texas Cow Creek Aquifer)
Raw Water Quality = Hardness ~350mg/L; PH - 7.5~7.7; TDS - 900ppm
Water Temp @ 4:00am = 70F~80F in summer time (storage tank)
Booster pump = Goulds 5GBC03 Attached is the spec sheet with pumping curve on page 3 and NPSHR curve on page 8 (pump has 2~3psi inlet pressure)
Storage = 25 year old 2500gal Black Poly tank 95"D x 91"H
680' of 25 year old 1.5" galvanized well pipe is contributing to my iron issue
Ferrous Iron starts to oxidize when run into the storage tank

Flex 5600SXT AIO settings:
DF = GAL

VT = dF1b

CT = tc

NT = - - - 1

DO = 1

RT = 4:00

BW = 15

BD = 40

RR = 1

BF = OFF

Hopefully, that is enough information to render an educated answer. The BW time can be extended if thought to prudent. I could also use less than .75cuFt of Filox (maybe .66cuFt - whatever it takes to still meet the minimum 20" bed depth and 15% bed expansion).

The 5gal/min BW rate is the constraining factor here. I realize a 7gal/min DLFC could be used, but I would have to reduce my system pressure to reach that flow rate and I prefer (if possible) to have a min. 60 psi as I am pushing water uphill to my house. Also, I may have NPSHR issues @ 7gal/min and I don't want to cause cavitation.

According to the graph located on the page below, I am right at the edge of spec. But the 8x44 tank in the graph does not have a Vortech plate which according to their documentation can reduce backwash flow rates by up to 30%. Hopefully that will make up for the higher water temps and slightly reduced BW rate.

My intent is to setup a zero maintenance Iron filter that will last my lifetime (currently early 60's). Filox is the longest lasting iron filter media and if properly backwashed, should last longer than I will.

I have had an active State of Texas "A" Water license for 25 years and I am fairly conversant when it comes to water. However, I have no practical experience with this.

Thanks for any and all replies, but please remember to answer the question.

P.S. - Not that it is pertinent to the question, but this will be followed by a Triple 4.5" x 20" filter cartridge housing consisting of a 5 micron Poly depth SED > 1 micron Poly depth SED > 5 micron solid Carbon Block that get changed every 6 months.

Thanks,
DR_DX

Attachments

• B5-33GB-R4.pdf
    612.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks