Grounding question

Users who are viewing this thread

chrisf8657

Reaction score
I have an existing grounded 4x2 box that I want to add an additional box above. The boxes will be connected together using a spacer/coupler.

My questions is does the second box need to be grounded also per NEC, or does the steel spacer/coupler basically join the two boxes together so only one needs a ground?

Thanks guys!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
At one time with metal conduits and boxes the pipe and boxes were used as a ground as long it was grounded at a location. This was very preventlent when three prong receptacles were required by code. Over the years it was not alway reliable especially when PVC conduit came available and it would get mixed with the metal.

chrisf8657

Reaction score
Well, I'll clear up those two things: The spacer/coupler is metal, and the boxes are not painted, they are bare steel (non-wet location).

Stuff

Reaction score
As long as the spacer/coupler is UL listed it would be considered metallic raceway/conduit that is an acceptable grounding method. Lots of opinions out there that don't like it so run a ground wire anyway.

Note they are still two separate boxes so in each box all grounding conductors need tied together and connected to the box.

Reach4

Reaction score
My questions is does the second box need to be grounded also per NEC, or does the steel spacer/coupler basically join the two boxes together so only one needs a ground?
That device is often called a box-to-box connector or box spacer, but can be called by other names.
399836-portrait_ratio1x1-300-300-e9cf001e0032f6fbf45c4aca51d3a852-lJ.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks