Grounding a Honda EU3000is Generator

Users who are viewing this thread

TVL

Reaction score
FIRST, after doing much research on this subject, I've only become more confused.

1- I have a Honda EU3000is generator. According to documentation, it has a floating neutral.

2- My application will ONLY involve the generator being used as a stand-alone unit. I will NEVER be connected to our home electrical system via a transfer switch. I will ALWAYS use power cords from the generator to whatever I wish to power ………………. whether it be a refrigerator, fan or light.

3- I do realize that for my application grounding the generator is NOT required.

4- However, what I do want to know is this: The generator has a grounding lug located on the side of the unit. The documentation is very vague about its use! If I wish to provide an earth ground by driving an 8 foot ground rod into the earth next to the unit and connecting the two, is this OK? Whether it's necessary or not, I just want to know if this is OK. If not, why?

I'd like to think it can't hurt to provide a ground path and may even be of benefit somehow or someway down the line????? If someone could please help, I'd be very thankful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

TVL

Reaction score
Well, I'm assuming no one wants to bite!

I've been told by some local so called "experts" that for my application, grounding the generator may possibly create other undesirable issues. I'm at a loss as to how a safety ground connected to a generator may cause undesirable issues?????? And again, I'm NOT going through a transfer switch or to my home electrical panel. I will ALWAYS pull a power cord straight from the generator to the equipment I wish to energize.

I just want to ensure all is completely safe by ALSO grounding the generator.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
4- However, what I do want to know is this: The generator has a grounding lug located on the side of the unit. The documentation is very vague about its use! If I wish to provide an earth ground by driving an 8 foot ground rod into the earth next to the unit and connecting the two, is this OK? Whether it's necessary or not, I just want to know if this is OK. If not, why?

It is OK to ground it.

Because it has a GFCI the old days of grounding being required are gone.

It you have RFI issues grounding may help eliminate interference.

TVL

Reaction score
Because it has a GFCI the old days of grounding being required are gone.

Well, I guess this may be one of the reasons I'm getting conflicting information as to whether it is acceptable to attach the chassis to a ground rod. The Honda EU3000is does NOT have GFCI receptacles. There's a reason, I'm sure ………………. but I don't know the reason!

And …………….. I still don't know if it would hurt to attach a grounding rod to the generator chassis. I'm trying to go the extra mile and take the extra precaution to ground everything, but I'm still not sure if this is the best course of action???????????????????

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Well, I guess this may be one of the reasons I'm getting conflicting information as to whether it is acceptable to attach the chassis to a ground rod. The Honda EU3000is does NOT have GFCI receptacles.

The GFCI is built into the inverter.

The ground and neutral is not bonded together.

Normally the ground is only required when connecting 2 generators together.

RiverLodge

Reaction score
Same set-up here, just an older and a bit smaller generator. She's covered outside with a shed roof and stays dry.

Drive the 8' galvanized rod, connect #8 solid copper from the provided lug on the generator to a ground rod clamp on the rod and sleep well my friend.

RL

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
2014 NEC section 250.34(A) The frame of a portable generator shall not be required to be connected to a grounding electrode as defined in 250.52 for a system supplied by the generator under the following conditions:
  1. The generator supplies only equipment mounted on the generator, cord-and-plug-connected equipment through receptacles mounted on the generator, or both, and
  2. The normally non-current-carrying metal parts of equipment and the equipment grounding conductor terminals of receptacles are connected to the generator frame.
It never hurts to ground a generator, NEC only states it doesn't have to be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks