Ground Wire Size For 50a Spa

Users who are viewing this thread

Atsottles

Reaction score
Running 6 awg thwn wire from my 50a spa pack gfci to the hot tub. Does the ground wire also need to be 6 awg? Or can I use a smaller wire for the ground?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Running 6 awg thwn wire from my 50a spa pack gfci to the hot tub. Does the ground wire also need to be 6 awg? Or can I use a smaller wire for the ground?
What the NEC says (copper assumed throughout):

If you are using a 60C limited wiring method, like LFNC in a wet location (common for a spa), then your #6 AWG is the smallest allowed for your 50A circuit. Then the minimum size EGC is #10.

If you aren't limited to a 60C ampacity, then you have upsized your wire from the minimum #8 for 50A. Therefore you have to upsize your EGC proportionately, which means a #8 EGC.

However your spa manual may have more specific requirements, and you have to follow them. It may call out a #6 EGC, perhaps for no good reason, but then you have to use a #6 EGC.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks