Gravel type & size

Users who are viewing this thread

Grunt

Reaction score
I have a 9x48 mineral tank with a fleck 5600 & am going to rebed the carbon & gravel it's been 4 + years since last rebed & starting to get breakthrough of chlorine. I have just read that my gravel size should be based on my max gpm use ? My max usage flow is around 12 gpm but thats on a rare occasion. Have been looking online & there seems to be several different types & sizes available. Any help greatly appreciated.
V/R Dwayne

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
No need to make it complex. A simple 1/8"x1/4" or #6 gravel is fine. I would highly recommend NSF listed gravel. Some gravels we have tested contained high levels of Arsenic, oil byproducts, and any other contaminant you can name...

Be sure to replace the riser and bottom screen with a high quality Clack or Fleck screen. Do not buy the ones that most online companies sell. Many of these are pure junk.

There is a great company in Florida, Skip posts here regularly. I would recommend contacting him.

If you want his contact info send me a PM.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Yes and no. There are 4 common tube sizes, and a few oddball sizes as well. Very old systems, 13/16" OD was common. Most systems use 1.05" OD (3/4" pvc pipe size) and the most modern valves ie 5810/5821 can use 3 different sizes. 1.05", 32mm OD, or 1.31 OD (1" PVC pipe Size) and some of the larger 5812 valves can even use 1.5" PVC riser pipe. The bottom screens simply glue to the pipe but be aware, there are dozens of cheap screens available and only a few high quality screens. Check out this link for more information. It is a page from our catalog that details many of the available bottom screens.
https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/140

Caldezrat

Reaction score
I bought my gravel at the local aquarium store. It was clean but I went ahead and rinsed the gravel anyways. I figured the gravel would be free from any bad contaminants or the fish would die.

ditttohead

Reaction score
LOL, not really but I like the thinking.... Arsenic, and many other contaminants are naturally occurring that may or may not affect fish. NSF listed gravel that is certified for drinking water components is tested for contaminants that can leach out... I doubt pet fish are under the same scrutiny as water for human consumption.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks