Glacier Bay, Question on new toilet install

Users who are viewing this thread

James23912

Reaction score
Bought an el cheapo Glacier Bay toilet at the Depot, the only instructions are printed on the outside of the box the thing comes in, so it says install gasket where the top and bottom get bolted together, but the gasket seems way too thick, I have not tried to tighten it down yet, I can't see it squeezing down enough to sit solidly. The gasket has sort of graduations, like on some roof flanges for different size pipes, will it work as is or does it need to be cut down or something?

Right now the upper section sits up a good inch and the bolts only stick thru about a half inch, it seems like it will rock once it gets snug and I don't want to overtighten.

glacier-bay-tank-install-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Up an inch just means there is more to go.
I've never seen a gasket for a toilet that gets cut down.
We tighten the tank to bowl enough so that the toilet tank does not rock.
Even with A level brands, once in a while they can crack. But the trick is to just go slow and steady on tightening and bring it back to the Depot if it cracks.

James23912

Reaction score
Hi thanks, I tightened it up and it is fine, moves a tiny bit but way less than I thought

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks