Generator Grounding Question

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a 3800 watt portable generator that I'm setting up to use for power outages. It will remain pretty much stationary on the side deck. The plan is to feed a small sub panel in the basement and from there to new outlets in three critical locations. The manufacturer wants the frame of the machine grounded, and a lug has been provided on the control panel. Now, should I separate the neutral and ground in the panel, and does it need its own bare wire to the ground rod outside?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Run a wire from the chassis of the generator to the ground rod. Most instructions recommends an earth ground. When I ran a generator for several days after a hurricane, I clamped a wire to a long screw driver and inserted it into the damp ground. The important thing is the ground potential is the same between the appliances, generator and the actual earth ground. If you unplug a device and plug it to the generator, you do not need to worry about the neutral between the generator and your electric panel. I would not use a subpanel. Just run a 12/3 to separate outlets to where you want to power up on the generator. Some generators have a built in GFI’s and breakers so just check. If there are no breakers then a subpanel is needed.

I did a reply about a year ago about running these “unregulated” generators. Do not expect to run run heavy appliances with large motors. My 5500 watt unit would not let the washing machine go into spin. After several days the refrigerator was not holding temperature, each day it got warmer. But a cool refrigerator is better than a warm one. I use my generator when needed for the refrigerator, Tv, a few lights and fans. It’s usually very hot after a hurricane. A small 5k window AC unit may work. When dealing with inductive loads (motors) it is not a simple ohms law calculation.

If you need to run a furnace for heat I would try the generator connected to your heating plant to see how it runs. If you’re serious about having a power backup generator, the Kohler stationary generators is the only way to do it. It auto turns on and transfers the load. If you price these units they are not as expensive you might think for the quality and benefits. The install you probably can do but be sure to get a permit.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'll update my progress over the weekend if possible. I've learned a few things and hopefully I can post something coherent and useful in a day or two.

Thanks for the comeback, Worth. Thought I was yodeling down a posthole.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Picked up a 20' roll of 10-2 with ground, and installed a twist lock male plug on one end. This is the stranded wire with a rubber jacket. Ran this wire down through the deck and into the unfinished basement, to a small panel. It's a maybe 12 x 12 GE 125a with 8/16 slots. It's always been my go-to sub panel. Hooked up the power to the bus on the left side and the neutral to the isolated bar. Thought it had a ground bar but didn't,so I installed one and put the green wire on that. Panel came with 4 space savers in 20a and I put those on the left side. Ran 12-2wg to three locations. There's a lug on the control panel on the generator, so I ran my ground from there to a nearby bare wire and connected it with a split bolt connector.

split-bolt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks