Bonding ground with neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Marvid

Reaction score
I understand ground and neutral must be bonded at the first point of dissconnnect. My meter socket has ground and netrual bonded together with a ground rod just below the meter socket. So does that make my main panel technically a sub panel, and grounds must be separated unsure if my actual meter socket would be my first point of disconnect then? The panel currently is currently bonded with two ground rods 8 feet apart.

Stuff

Reaction score
If there is no disconnect at the meter then it is not the first disconnect, it is simply a meter and socket in a metal enclosure. Many POCOs used to require that the GEC (grounding rods or equivalent) connect at the meter. Now most don't allow it. The NEC allows the GEC to connect at the weatherhead, the meter box, or the first disconnect.
https://i.stack.imgur.com/7IYxz.jpg

Up to the first disconnect ground and neutral are the same wire. Where it connects/bonds to a grounding system (GEC) doesn't change its usage.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Things are slightly more complicated under the 2020 NEC, which added a requirement for an outdoor "Emergency Disconnect" for one and two family dwellings. In order to facilitate retrofitting those on residential services where the first means of disconnect is currently inside, the 2020 NEC allows an outdoor disconnect to be labeled "Emergency Disconnect, Not Service Equipment." Then you get to ignore it as far as determining where the first (service) disconnect is located.

Of course, many jurisdictions aren't on the 2020 NEC (California starts January 1, 2023), and existing installations compliant at the time of the install are fine as is until modifications are made.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks