Gate Valve Stem Seal Advice Hammond 668

Users who are viewing this thread

Toukow

Reaction score
Can you guys please help me out on the following. I have a 1 inch Hammond 668 gate valve with minor leaking of the stem packing, where tightening has no effect. I researched here and found it confusing with the discussion of using PTFE packing rope, as that is how my boat propeller was packed with no additional parts- then see comments that this is only a interim step, and not the proper method for full replacement of the seal.

I researched it at the manufacturer's website, no parts listed.

I called Hammond this morning and the call went like this (person was totally courteous and as helpful as they could be):

Q: Can you tell me the replacement part number?
A. We don't sell a repair kit for that valve

Q: How is this usually done, take the part to a plumbing supply shop and match it up?
A. No, they will not have the part needed. You have to buy the replacement valve.

Q: Oh, I can buy the valve and take out the seal then?
A: If you do that , you will void the warranty.
I laughed and said warranties aren't worth anything anymore in my mind. She simply laughed.

I installed the PTFE cord and it seems to have worked. Should I just leave well enough alone? Thing is this valve was not used in 17 years, and if it starts leaking lightly, it will not be noticed. I'd like to do it properly, if possible. Am I getting the straight story here? Will a plumbing supply business have the needed seal? Appears rounded as shown in photo.

Thanks, Toukow

Update: I contacted a local plumbing supply chain, Ferguson, and they said if I was told that by the manufacturer then I'm out of luck, as they would have had to contact Hammond as well.

Gate valve stem seal.JPG

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think I've repaired a packing ever for the reason you are worried about. If I spend a bunch of time on trying to fix a packing it takes a bunch of time that I could have just replaced with new, so from a customers standpoint, I'm saving you money by doing a replacement. And if it leaks I'm holding the liability.. We replace leaking valves with new ones.

However, if the valve doesn't get used often, as most valves dont. It won't likely develop a leak after your repair. If i were you, I would do as you did and consider it done.

Toukow

Reaction score
I can see why people in the business simply replace the valve, and forget repairs. Given the old seal seems in good shape (won't disintegrate), I will consider the PTFE rope fix adequate. I will continue to keep an eye on it for a bit, so far- so good. Thanks for the comments, Toukow

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
It probably won't leak, but if it does add a bit more packing and tighten again if just tightening the nut doesn't work.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Agree with Tuttles as the time repairing a small gate valve isn't cost effective paying a pro in my area upwards of 100 to 200 an hour. but as a homeowner and to other homeowners the thought of paying 100 to 200 dollars might be worth spending all day or more to avoid such cost. if its iron pipe replacing a valve might be major task for many. So I totally get wanting to repair .
BTW I remember installing nothing but hammond valves on tract houses in the 80s 3/4 inch at W/H and 1 inch main. they were made in India and horrible We had around 5 percent failure( during construction or immediately after) never forgot those valves with green handles and we installed them for at least a year or 2. I thought they were junk . but don't know if all hamond valves were

Reaction score
I appreciate the repair effort story.
For the OP @Toukow how did it go?

I have a Hammond 636/125 FIG 1" sweat gate, that will require substantial stucco and waterproofing effort to change the entire valve.

The packing washer is loose. It's from 1965, so probably back before the quality suffered. The rubber is all hard and there's no chance of tightening things enough to make a difference.

Even if Hammond offered a rebuild kit: the problem is the handle nut is rusted, so even removing the rubber packing seal will be impossible. I'll try wrapping the stem in PTFE tape and tightening it back up, per what you tried.

PXL_20211205_182802237.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks