Gate Valve Stem Seal Advice Hammond 668

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Toukow, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Toukow

Toukow New Member

Can you guys please help me out on the following. I have a 1 inch Hammond 668 gate valve with minor leaking of the stem packing, where tightening has no effect. I researched here and found it confusing with the discussion of using PTFE packing rope, as that is how my boat propeller was packed with no additional parts- then see comments that this is only a interim step, and not the proper method for full replacement of the seal.

I researched it at the manufacturer's website, no parts listed.

I called Hammond this morning and the call went like this (person was totally courteous and as helpful as they could be):

Q: Can you tell me the replacement part number?
    A. We don't sell a repair kit for that valve

Q: How is this usually done, take the part to a plumbing supply shop and match it up?
    A. No, they will not have the part needed. You have to buy the replacement valve.

Q: Oh, I can buy the valve and take out the seal then?
    A: If you do that , you will void the warranty.
    I laughed and said warranties aren't worth anything anymore in my mind. She simply laughed.

I installed the PTFE cord and it seems to have worked. Should I just leave well enough alone? Thing is this valve was not used in 17 years, and if it starts leaking lightly, it will not be noticed. I'd like to do it properly, if possible. Am I getting the straight story here? Will a plumbing supply business have the needed seal? Appears rounded as shown in photo.

Thanks, Toukow

Update: I contacted a local plumbing supply chain, Ferguson, and they said if I was told that by the manufacturer then I'm out of luck, as they would have had to contact Hammond as well.

Gate valve stem seal.JPG

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  2. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

I don't think I've repaired a packing ever for the reason you are worried about. If I spend a bunch of time on trying to fix a packing it takes a bunch of time that I could have just replaced with new, so from a customers standpoint, I'm saving you money by doing a replacement. And if it leaks I'm holding the liability.. We replace leaking valves with new ones.

However, if the valve doesn't get used often, as most valves dont. It won't likely develop a leak after your repair. If i were you, I would do as you did and consider it done.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Marlinman

Marlinman In the Trades

On small valves the PTFE cord will work fine.

5. Toukow

Toukow New Member

I can see why people in the business simply replace the valve, and forget repairs. Given the old seal seems in good shape (won't disintegrate), I will consider the PTFE rope fix adequate. I will continue to keep an eye on it for a bit, so far- so good. Thanks for the comments, Toukow

6. Mr tee

Mr tee In the Trades

It probably won't leak, but if it does add a bit more packing and tighten again if just tightening the nut doesn't work.

Jeff H Young likes this.
  7. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

Agree with Tuttles as the time repairing a small gate valve isn't cost effective paying a pro in my area upwards of 100 to 200 an hour. but as a homeowner and to other homeowners the thought of paying 100 to 200 dollars might be worth spending all day or more to avoid such cost. if its iron pipe replacing a valve might be major task for many. So I totally get wanting to repair .
    BTW I remember installing nothing but hammond valves on tract houses in the 80s 3/4 inch at W/H and 1 inch main. they were made in India and horrible We had around 5 percent failure( during construction or immediately after) never forgot those valves with green handles and we installed them for at least a year or 2. I thought they were junk . but don't know if all hamond valves were

Tuttles Revenge likes this.