Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
http://news.aol.com/article/gulf-gas-explosion-rocks-puerto-rico/732910

The 12:30 a.m. blast was the equivalent of a 2.8 magnitude earthquake, according to the Puerto Rico Seismic Network.

Fortuno said 11 of the 40 fuel tanks were on fire at the plant, which includes a gasoline warehouse and distribution center on a bay across from the U.S. territory's capital. Caribbean Petroleum owns the Gulf brand in Puerto Rico.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
We had one of those near where I used to live in England, about four or so years ago.

The cause of that one was petrol overflowing a storage tank after automatic monitoring systems broke down. Petrol started flowing out of vents at the top of the tank, turning into a flammable vapour cloud as it cascaded down the side of the tank.

The gaseous cloud covered nearly 8 hectares of ground by the time it was ignited, possibly by a spark in a fire pumphouse or an electrical generator building close to the site.

I don't think anyone died, which was a miracle and there were no long-term public health problems.

A lot of my friends were awoken by the blast which blew their loft hatches down!

It measured 2.4 on the Richter scale.

aerial%20fire%203.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Well there goes all the benefits of what all the Hybrid cars saved....breath deep yaall.....

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks