Garbage disposal removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Jef

Reaction score
There is a Sears garbage disposal under my sink that I would like to remove and replace with drain pipes and just use both sinks.
The garbage disposal is at least 12 years old. It's about 12 inches in diameter.

No one at the Menards near me can tell me how to remove it. I've looked at others and they just appear to twist off from the bracket attached to the bottom of the sink. However, mine seems extremely hard to loosen.

Is there a trick or special tool used to remove garbage disposals? Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
disposer

disposer_basket.jpg

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8958&highlight=disposer

Most Sears disposers are made by ISE which means they have a "twist mount flange" and you just rotate it counterclockwise to remove it. If it is one made by a different company then there are many possibilities as to how to remove it. If it was made by GE for example, (in which case it would be a true "Disposal"), then it has four spring latches and the easiest way to get it off is to break them. Others have large plastic nuts that screw
off or release a bayonet mount.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jef

Reaction score
HJ -
Thank you. When I'm not sure how to do something, I tend to err more on the side of caution.

The garbage disposal appears to be the twist-on type. I will give it another try. Thanks again.

removed-with-sawzal.jpg

This one was leaking badly. The screws are missing on this one.

disposer-very-old.jpg

Way to old to keep, and it was leaking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The ISE clamp has (I think) three tubluar openings (maybe more) around the flange. If you have their allen wrench, it will fit into that opening, and you can use that as a lever to unscrew the clamp. Once that is loose, it is a piece of cake to replace. If the drain in the sink is okay, you can just replace the disposer and the rubber seal at the top from the new one. A scrub like maybe a Brillo pad will probably make the old one look new.

Jef

Reaction score
Jef

Jad, thanks. The allen wrench worked. Removed disposal and replaced with drain. Thanks again:)

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I normally use a long phillips screwdriver for leverage when turning the clamp... But when it's frozen on, I use a hammer and cold chisel to break it loose.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks