Gap between concrete pan and wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Tony Grier

Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing the tile in my shower. The walls were made of the chicken wire and concrete. I removed the wall all the way to the studs because I am going to make a shelf. Once the walls were removed I was left with a substantial gap between the wall and concrete shower pan. The water proof membrane appears to be in good shape. Can I fill the gap with concrete? Pictures are uploaded.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What's left of your shower pan would not pass industry standards. The liner first needs to be sloped to the drain (can't tell for sure, but it doesn't look like it), and, the liner needs to come up and over the curb, which you've demolished. The whole pan seems elevated more than I'd like, but that may be because they needed the height for the drain. To make the whole thing lower, there are newer methods that would not require a second layer of mud over the liner...the liner becomes both the waterproofing and the tiling surface. There are 3-4 companies that make that sort of system, and it is a system, best contained within one company's products. One of the older ones is from www.schluter.com, but Noble, Laticrete and others make a system that will work.

The mudded wall is still a preferred method to ensure that the wall is (or should be!) perfectly flat. Otherwise, that depends a lot on the quality and installation of the studs as things like cement board (cbu) will bend to conform to warps or twists of the structure, and, the corners may not be square, either.

Personally, I'd want to tear out the pan, inspect the plumbing, and rebuild the whole thing.

FWIW, the pan (should) be made out of what is called deck mud...a mix of 4-5:1 of sand:portland cement and enough water to make it stick together. It doesn't flow...think wet beach sand like material that you can shape.

You can check out www.johnbridge.com where their whole site is devoted to tiling things, which showers constitute a large proportion. Lots of pros participate, and probably faster answers, too. This site is great for some things, but for tiling things, I think that one is better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks