Furnace not working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I installed a new transformer and board in a furnace. It still wouldn't power up. It has power and thermostat is jumpered. Then I realized I'm still not getting 24v out of the transformer. I tested more connections and the main power coming into the furnace(black has 120v and the white has 36v) would this cause transformer not to output 24v

Bgard

Reaction score
Where are you testing the voltage to? Black to ground and white to ground? What do you have between black and white?

Stuff

Reaction score
So your white wire is disconnected somewhere. Trace it back to the breaker panel.

Stuff

Reaction score
If a neutral is floating (not connected) at its source then it can be "powered" by devices on the circuit. In your case most likely the white wire is loose and is getting voltage through the furnace's transformer. If it was totally disconnected it would measure 120vac to ground and zero to the hot wire. Can you measure the white wire's voltage at the electrical panel?

The other thing that happens is phantom voltage. This is when a disconnected wire is in parallel with a powered ac wire. Through electromagnetism it picks up voltage. A digital meter is very sensitive so will pick this up. You will see recommendations to use an analog meter or a "Wiggy" to measure voltage.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm going to get an electrician there. There's 2 furnaces there. One works one doesn't. I test both electrical connections on both. The one that don't work I'm getting odd readings. I should of ran a extension cord from an outlet and hooked up the furnace

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Update. Everything is working now. Originally there was no power to both furnaces. So I told them to get an electrican. Well he bypassed something and got power to both but messed up one of the connections. I assumed the electrician tested the power to the units. That's why I assumed it was the transformer or board.. there was a loose connection on the neutral well aways away

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks