Furnace Blower Replacement

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by Sean Sean, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Sean Sean

Sean Sean New Member

Hello Helpers,

I think my 20-years furnace blower is going out. The model is GE 5KCP39LG V569BS, which is a 0.5 HP 1075 rpm with capacitor starter. Since this is no longer on market, I wonder if there is any suggestion as to which made and model is a direct replacement? And where to get it? I live in Central Ohio. Thanks for your suggestions.

In the last 5 years, when the blower is on during Winter, the thermostat would intermittently shut off for 1 minute, then come back on. During thermostat shut off and before back to operation, the blower and furnace would continue to run blowing out hot air. After thermostat turns back on and complete initialization, the furnace and blower would stop, wait for couple minutes, and start blowing hot air again, until temperature reaches ideal target.

I found that putting in new air-filter would help reducing the frequency of this shut-off. However, starting this year, it does not help much. I don't observe this issue during summer air-conditioning time. I read somewhere that this is considered as "overloading" which means somewhere in the motor is over consuming the electricity.

Thanks

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I did not look at your link, but if the blower turns smoothly by hand, hums, and did not smoke, you might try changing the start cap.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Sean Sean

Sean Sean New Member

Oh Thanks.

However, my cap has no label on it. I see that the motor label says "CAP 10.00/370". Does that give me a clue? Thanks

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Yes. 10 μF 370 volt. Common value. They come in different shapes. If you have an electric motor shop in your area, I would check there.
    [​IMG]

(Edit: replaced mf, which is the old way to abbreviate microfarad, with μF) https://www.dictionary.com/browse/microfarad

A 10 millifarad 370 volt capacitor would be very far from common.

pF was called mmf or mmF in the old days.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  6. Sean Sean

Sean Sean New Member

Is that 10 mf as in Milli Farad, or 10 μf as in Micro Farad? It seems like most sellers online is selling the 10 Micro Farad unit.

Thanks again

7. Dana

Dana In the trades

A 10 milli Farad (10,000 uF) 370 VAC capacitor would be truly HUGE. (Such capacitors exist, but would never be used in a residential air handler's AC motor startup circuit.)