Freezing PVC pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by BrianW1, Jun 26, 2019.

1. BrianW1

BrianW1 New Member

Hello everyone.
    Just wondering if any plumbers know how a 2 foot by 6 inch piece of PVC, capped at one end and open at the other, would go if used to freeze water. I am wondering if it would survive intact with the expanding water escaping out the top, or if it would split. It would be really great to hear some opinions on the matter.
    My partner and I are looking around for something to freeze a cylinder of water in for on-table ice sculptures at a wedding and we have not had any luck with finding anything around that size that we can use.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    As long as the expansion has a way to escape, and it is NOT trapped between two layers ice, there should be no problem.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing- - fire suppression
    I freeze bottled water all the time with good results as long as you do what HJ said

5. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida When the wife won't let you get a Harley!

Retired
    It'll work but it could be a bear get the ice block out. The capped end would be the area that could give you a problem. If you use a typical pipe end cap the water will expand and the ice will get hung up on the lip of the pipe. The end that you want to cap off will need to be smooth and cut straight. With a sheet of plastic, like a plastic tray or a cutting board, silicone the end of the pipe to the plastic and let it cure, then pour the water into it for freezing. Putting some hot water on the pipe will melt the ice just enough so the ice block slips out. If the ice block doesn't want to come out of the pipe, you can cut the silicone to separate the two and allow you to push onto the ice block for removal.