Franklin SubDrive 150 Failed - Options?

Users who are viewing this thread

NMBuilder505

Reaction score
I found my Franklin Electric SubDrive 150 showing no power, even though the power tested to the unit was correct. According to Franklin's troubleshooting guide, the unit failed. I can't figure out what may have caused the failure. Others have been showing issues caused by a lightening strike or water, but we have not experienced either. It just failed for no apparent reason. I suspect the fan burnt out or it overheated for some reason.

Nonetheless, I’m super upset to know that my only option is to purchase another unit for close to $2,500. Ours lasted 4 years, which some might think is worthwhile, however, I simply do not. That is $750 a year, which is too much to have to account for on an annual basis.

Does anyone have any insights on repair options?

I checked with Franklin and like other's have complained about, they won't repair these units since they use a circuit board. I just can't understand why they wouldn't offer some sort of repair or replacement service where it can be sent in for a fee? I am even more surprised that with as many that seem to be failing, Franklin hasn’t resolved the issues that are causing the failure, such as adding a circuit interrupter or temperature fail-safe? I have no idea what the issue was, but even my cell phone has better fail-safes than this!

I would greatly appreciate if anyone has any insights or suggestions.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That three phase motor locks you into replacing the subdrive or switching to a standard single phase motor. Most people are about in the same position as you before they realize pulling the pump and putting on a standard single phase motor so they can do away with the subdrive VFD is long overdue. You can use a cheaper drive from driveswarehouse.com to replace the subdrive, but the real fix is a single phase motor and a CSV.

Here is some stuff you are not going to like.
https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/vfd-does-not-save-energy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks