Fountain Water Supply

Users who are viewing this thread

garisilver

Reaction score
I built a custom fountain. The water splashes, so I installed a water supply for make-up water. I ran almost 50' of 1/2" ID reinforced tubing from the house supply and installed a float valve in the sump to maintain the water level.
It's been working great.
Recently, I bumped into the specs on the float valve. It says the max pressure is 10kg, which translates into 22psi.
The house pressure feeding it is about 65psi.
Even though it's working, I'm concerned about the pressure causing the float valve to fail. Does the 50' run of tubing drop the pressure at the valve? If not, can I install a pressure reducing valve, adjust it to 20lbs, and still have the float valve work properly 50' away?
Thanks in advacnce

garisilver

Reaction score
The ONLY way to reduce the pressure is with a pressure reducing valve. Long pipes, partially closed valves, etc., do NOTHING to reduce static pressure.
Thanks. What about the second question? can I install a pressure reducing valve, adjust it to 20lbs, and still have the float valve work properly 50' away?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You got 50 foot of what kind of hose at 65 psi 24 -7 ? .and triple the pressure to the float valve. Maybe as a cheap alternative hook it up to automatic sprinkler line so the line is only pressureised 10 minutes a day or something like that.
Wouldnt trust the set up you have now. if you add a pressure reg put it as close to source as you can. then the rubber hose wont have as much pressure

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks