Florida Plumbing Code Question

Users who are viewing this thread

BakaFckw

Reaction score
I have Florida plumbing code question. Does anyone here familiar with Florida plumbing code

FBCP 905.3 EVERY DRY VENT SHALL RISE VERTICALLY TO A POINT NOT LESS THAN 6" ABOVE
THE FLOOD LEVEL RIM OF THE HIGHEST TRAP OR TRAPPED FIXTURE BEING VENTED

FBCP 9054. NO HORIZONTAL DRY VENTS.

Which one is the right in isometric drawing?
Floor Drain Vent Question.JPG

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The drain line cannot go down before it is vented...well, it still needs the 1/4"/foot, but no turns.

Reach4

Reaction score
Which one is the right in isometric drawing?
If I understand your question, both of those are examples of dry vents. The assumption is that the Figure 2 vent goes up that 6 inches or more above the flood levels before turning horizontal. I don't think any of that is Florida-specific.

BakaFckw

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Both of them are dry vent. I got comment of No horizontal vent. For fig 2, the vent line does not rise above the floor. It run below the floor and rise up later in the dry wall. In Illinois plumbing code, there are exception of vertical rise for floor drain. I wonder if there are no horizontal vent. does it mean that the vent pipe can not run horizontal under the floor even the vent line has slope. In this case, does fig 1 is correct. It is because it has vertical rise from the drain line in the dry wall and up.

BakaFckw

Reaction score
Yea that applies to connecting horizontally into the vent stack. And Your vent connection can only be so many feet from the (fixture)P-trap. Florida goes by ICC code and table 906.1 in the book answers that question. https://www2.iccsafe.org/states/Florida2001/FL_Plumbing/PDFs/Chapter 9_Vents.pdf

Randy, thanks for your response. I looked at the link of Florida plumbing code.

I assume the following based on your statement from "Yes that applies to connecting horizontally into the vent stack".

My figure 1 is correct. Any horizontal dry vent must run 6 inch above the floor level rim of the fixture before turning horizontally.
In my case is the 6 inch above the top of the floor. Figure 2 is not correct based on the Florida code and IPC code.

Also, the maximum distance between from fixture trap to my vent line is 10 feet for 3 inch trap.

I have an additional question.

The trap size is P-trap size of the fixture.
The fixture drain is the piece after the P-trap (downstream of the P-trap.

Thanks for answering my question

Randy Raudenbush

In the Trades
Reaction score
Randy, thanks for your response. I looked at the link of Florida plumbing code.

I assume the following based on your statement from "Yes that applies to connecting horizontally into the vent stack".

My figure 1 is correct. Any horizontal dry vent must run 6 inch above the floor level rim of the fixture before turning horizontally.
In my case is the 6 inch above the top of the floor. Figure 2 is not correct based on the Florida code and IPC code.

Also, the maximum distance between from fixture trap to my vent line is 10 feet for 3 inch trap.

I have an additional question.

The trap size is P-trap size of the fixture.
The fixture drain is the piece after the P-trap (downstream of the P-trap.

Thanks for answering my question
The pipe that connects a trap serving a fixture is the “fixture drain”. Until it connects with the “fixture branch”.Which ties into the
“branch of building drain” then” bldg drain”and all those are defined in more detail in the code book. So yes on that.
Not sure what you are asking about p-trap size of the fixture though. But I would go by trap size to determine maximum distance for your vent. Table 906.1
The first drawing looks good. Fig 2 looks like an s trap which can siphon the trap dry.

But do Make sure the vent connections are above flood level rim of the highest fixture served. Which is usually a sink or lav. Either done Inside the wall or attic.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks